Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 recall??

Is there some sort of iPhone 5 recall going on now? I heard there is something wrong and you can get a new one...is there any truth to this?

Thank You

Adam

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 9:23 AM

8 replies

Jan 23, 2013 9:50 AM in response to Apple Qs

there is no general recall - if your phone has a problem call apple support (or go to an apple store if there is one nearby) - if they determine something is wrong with it they will exchange it - be sure to back it up first

i had a problem with the proximity sensor on my 1st iphone 5 - called apple and they delivered a replacement 2 days later ( it would have come the next day but i was out of town)

May 1, 2014 1:59 PM in response to Apple Qs

My iPhone5 has this same problem. I checked the serial number and it qualifies for the fix. I took my phone to the Apple store in Valencia, CA and they checked it out. Everything is working except for the sleep/wake button but they denied me the fix since the screen was replaced.

I did take my phone to that same Apple store when I found out that part of the digitizer in the screen went dead only to find that they wanted $150 to fix it. I took the iPhone somewhere else and had it replaced for $80.

According to CA Code (civ_1792-1795) third party parts should not void the warranty as long as the item functions correctly.

I understand my iPhone is 18 months old and out of mfg warranty but the third party display screen has nothing to do with the sleep/wake button.

Anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed? I may end up taking a copy of the CA civil code with me when I speak to the manager of the Apple store.

May 1, 2014 2:59 PM in response to pg555

pg555 wrote:

Anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed? I may end up taking a copy of the CA civil code with me when I speak to the manager of the Apple store.

You can try, but I think you'll find that Apple's lawyers are more versed about California laws and regulations than you are and have determined that Apple is on solid legal grounds when refusing service on a device that has undergone unauthorized modifications. Certainly it's extremely doubtful that a store manager will have the power to go against Apple rules about such things. But you can always ask.

Regards.

May 1, 2014 3:11 PM in response to varjak paw

I see your point. However I am comparing this to changing my car's oil.

If an owner of a car changes their own oil and then finds out that the car manufacturer has a recall on the engine, would that car not qualify for that recall?

I don't think a large company like Apple would want to waste their time and money on a small issue like this when they have 10s of millions of devices out there.

May 1, 2014 6:15 PM in response to pg555

You can compare it to whatever you want... it doesn't make you right.

You forfieted any right to have it serviced by Apple when you had it serviced by an unauthorized party.

Apple doesn't sell parts for iPhones at all. You have a frankenphone, not an iphone. The replacement screen in your phone is either counterfeit, stolen, or salvaged.

The warranty on your car is no good if you blow the engine and replace it with one from a junkyard yourself, even if it's the exact same model engine you had originally. THAT is a more apt comparison.

May 2, 2014 4:26 PM in response to Apple Qs

https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

Applies to certain serial numbers for the iPhone 5 only. Does not apply to the 5s or 5c.

If your phone is eligible (as determined by the site above) you take it to an Apple Store or authorized service center. They test it out to verify the issue, and send it to Apple for repair. Process may take 4-5 days, so they may have loaners available.

if there's no service center near you, call Apple and they will send you a box. You'll have to do without your phone for a week doing it this way.

This is ONLY for defective sleep/wake buttons. They are not replacing the phone, they will repair it and send it back.

May 2, 2014 4:30 PM in response to pg555

Changing the oil yourself does not void a warranty or make you ineligible for a recall. Using non-approved parts on your engine is a better analogy, in which case yes you could void the warranty. Apple's always been pretty strict with their devices - doing something like upgrading the hard drive or RAM yourself with non-Apple parts does not void the warranty unless you break it doing the installation or the part somehow causes physical damage to the system. Replacing the LCD with a non-Apple part, or having the repair done by a non-authorized service center, can void your warranty. Same goes with taking an iPad with a broken screen to a third party for repair - if Apple is able to tell, then they can refuse warranty coverage on it (which is part of the reason they have AppleCare+.)

iPhone 5 recall??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.