Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8 Server OD Users SSH Logins Not Working

I have Open Directory turned on and users and groups properly configured on the server, however, none of the OD users except admin can log in via SSH.

I get the password prompt, and enter a correct password, but still not being able to log in after 3 tries, then it disconnects. If I enable File Sharing in the Server.app for certain users, they can log in via afp, but not SSH.

Here is what I have:

• Enabling "administer this server", doesn't change anything either.
  • In System Preferences > Sharing > Remote Login: All users is selected.
  • In Workgroup Manager, in the Advanced tab, the Login Shell is set to /bin/bash.
  • In Directory Utility, Search Policy > Authentication includes /Local/Default and /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1.

Not sure what else to enable.

Thanks

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 8:30 AM

2 replies

Jan 27, 2013 5:03 PM in response to FromOZ

Figured it out!

OD users need home directory set to something valid. If it is set to (None), they can't login via SSH/SFTP.

I set it to /private/tmp in the Home tab of Workgroup Manager (which, by the way doesn't come with 10.8 server, you have to download it from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1567) for a particular user.

The following threads helped:

10.8 Server OD Users SSH Logins Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.