Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Boot Camp not working

I try to get Boot Camp onto my Mac and I have tried so many tutorials and nothing seem to work.

First of all I have tried to use rEFIt and it wouldn't do any change,

I have tried to install it using the apple way, and I also tried to install it by enabling the usb way manually, as it was disabled for my Mac initially. No luck.

I have tried to run from an external CD/DVD drive and no luck, I even tried a HP version, and no luck. It does give me a black screen some times.

I have tried to install from USB memory, and it seems this one give me a grey screen or black screen, somewhat different every now and then between tries.

I found an guide which included VMWare Fusion to install the OS on the Bootcamp partition, and then continue install Windows when files were copied, however it requires me to repair the boot record (getting to this).

I tried to fully install Windows on the Bootcamp partition using the VMWare Fusion way and that worked fine, it is now located on my Bootcamp drive! However of course the windows boot records are broken.

So I would like to fix the boot record, however my keyboard isn't responding when windows partition give me the option to insert the CD/DVD although it is already inserted.

Further more I try to use an USB stick and it wouldn't help.

I also tried to boot from the CD, then it gives me the option to press any key to boot from CD/DVD, and starts adding dots ..... and when I click enter the dots stops but nothing happends.

So I figured there might be some messed up ground configurations, so I cleared the NVRAM and also eventually the SMC.

After no luck with this I figured I would try to remove rEFIt and successfully did that, and tried all the various combinations I could think of. Hoever no luck again. I feel like I am out of options. Apple created the USB stick from an ISO, it seems to be able to find it, but cannot launch it.

I really am stuck here, I need some advice on how to continue.

/Marcus

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 8:05 AM

Your Mac has got a built-in SuperDrive, so insert the Windows DVD into it and install Windows. An external optical drive and a USB drive won't work as your Mac has got a SuperDrive, so you are forced to install Windows from a DVD on the internal SuperDrive.

If the SuperDrive is damaged, take it to an Apple Store to get it repaired

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2013 8:05 AM in response to MarcusSjolin

Your Mac has got a built-in SuperDrive, so insert the Windows DVD into it and install Windows. An external optical drive and a USB drive won't work as your Mac has got a SuperDrive, so you are forced to install Windows from a DVD on the internal SuperDrive.

If the SuperDrive is damaged, take it to an Apple Store to get it repaired

Jan 23, 2013 8:51 AM in response to mende1

Well, it isn't that easy. My second SATA is no longer a SuperDrive, it is now a HDD, which is the HDD I want to have windows on. Do you know any good way of solving this?

I could place the SuperDrive back in and switch my other disk out to install it, and then switch it back. Is that even possible or will the boot records break again then?

Thanks

Macbook Pro Boot Camp not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.