Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittent Audio Problem (Static-y, Garbled Sound Through 3rd Gen AppleTV 2)

Hello! I have been having an issue with my AppleTV 2 since day one. At random, when watching video via Apple TV, the audio will become static-y and very garbled.

At first I thought this was an issue with the audio files, but they play just fine on other devices.

While I've not been able to find a fix, I've read online that this could be an issue with the HDMI audio signal, and/or this may be an issue with my Toshiba REGZA TV, which is used as the display. My only solution at this point is to "sleep" the Apple TV, then start it back up. My family absolutely loves the technology, but it's getting pretty frustrating having to sleep/unsleep every couple hours or so. I would love a long-term fix. All help is well appreciated. Thanks in advance!

AppleTV 2, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 8:09 AM

3 replies

Nov 10, 2013 5:43 AM in response to s. matthew

I have had the same issue after about approximately 1 1/4 hours into the movie on my Toshiba. This happens irregardless of where I rent the movie. If I shut everything off and reboot (TV & Apple TV) it fixes it and I am able to finish watching the movie. I am wondering if I would use a higher quality hdmi cable or change the hdmi input, if that would correct the problem.

Intermittent Audio Problem (Static-y, Garbled Sound Through 3rd Gen AppleTV 2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.