Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing Windows7 Photos - Pictures Folder not a choice

Trying to sync "Pictures" Library to ipod. Pull down box has Photoshop Elements and Choose Folder, but no "Pictures." If I try to Choose Folder, I get the following error:You've selected a library. Please choose a folder instead. Is there any way to add the Pictures Folder as one of the choices?

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 9:25 AM

13 replies

Jan 23, 2013 10:56 AM in response to lllaass

I'm doing this for one of my students (teaching seniors) and adding Elements is more than they can handle.

All Apple Docs say you will have a choice of your Pictures Library or Elements if you have it.. I would like to know how that gets there (or deleted).

I checked the Pictures Folder and there are only pictures in it so that is not the problem. a

I appreciate you attempts to help and I know their are possible solutions (copy all pics to another folder, etc...) but I would really like to know creates that initial pull down folder that includes Elements.

Jan 23, 2013 11:07 AM in response to wandathomas

What if you just select Elements.

Then the photos pane in iTunes for the iPod should offer you some option circle boxes to check to what you want to sync from element.

I have iPhone (m\Mac0 and I have two circle boxes that say

All Photo, albums, Events and faces

Selected albums, event and faces and automatically include (a pull-down menu)

Jan 23, 2013 1:11 PM in response to lllaass

I actually tried using Elements - had it "watch" the Pictures folder, and it shows zero pictures to sync. Surely there is a config file somewhere that tells it where to look? That's all I'm looking for.

I prefer not to use Elements since my student is not familiar with it.

I cannot use "Choose Folder" because you only get that folder and NO subfolders.

I am trying to troubleshoot why the Pictures Folder does not appear in the pull down list like all documentation says it should. I am at the point that a "work around" is not workable and I would like to solve the initial problem.

Thanks for your input; I do appreciate the effort.

Jan 23, 2013 3:55 PM in response to lllaass

Sorry to be confusing. I need all the folders and pictures in "My Pictures" to sync with an iPod touch.

I get this error message when I choose that folder: You've selected a library. Please choose a folder instead.

I understand that I can select any other folder and get 1 level of folders under it, but I will not get folders on the same level as the one chosen - that's what I meant by not getting all the folders.

Hope that clears it up. If anyone has any info on the ERROR MESSAGE above, that may prove to be very helpful.

Jan 23, 2013 4:06 PM in response to wandathomas

Are you using windows maybe 7 or 8?

I think the problem is that you are try to sync a library vice a folder. For Windodows help:

Libraries are collections where you can get to all your documents, music, pictures, and other files in one single place. In some ways, a library works like a folder: you can use it to browse and sort files. But unlike a folder, a library gathers files that are stored in several locations. This is a subtle, but important, difference. Libraries don't actually store your items. They pull from folders that contain your items, and let you open and arrange the items in different ways. For example, if you have music files in folders on your PC and on an external drive, you can get all of your music files from the Music library.

You have to either sync from a photo program or from a plain folder, not a library folder.

Jan 23, 2013 4:27 PM in response to lllaass

(Windows7 in title) I think you might be on to something. I'm looking at my own PC and the contents of each are identical as I'm sure are my students. But I need to look at the properties of the folder and make sure it is a folder and not a library. My student will be back next week, so I will check with her then. Thanks so very much. Will post the resolution then.

Syncing Windows7 Photos - Pictures Folder not a choice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.