Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview 6 and 10.8.2

I have just upgraded from Preview 5.5.1 and 10.7.2 to a new MBP with Preview at 6.0.1 and 10.8.2

My issue is this.

In the old set up you could scan documents from a printer and you were given the option to combine these into a single pdf file. That option appears to have disappeared. Now I have two separate pdf documents and I thought maybe I'd then combine these into one using the sidebar trick that you used to be able to use. But that doesn't work either.

Has Preview 6 abandoned the option to combine into a single pdf file? Or have they hidden this command somewhere that's hard to find?!

Anyone discovered an answer?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Using external Cinema Display

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 9:45 AM

You can still drag and drop. Hover over the sidebar icon for a bit before you drop to combine.

User uploaded file

2 replies

Jan 24, 2013 1:42 AM in response to leroydouglas

Well, yes - this is precisely what I tried. To no avail. I don't get that double grey border - nothing. I just end up with 2 documents 2 total pages. It always worked with the old set-up but not this one. Interestingly if I take one of the thumbnails and transfer it to an already TWO page pdf it works. I get the little green + sign and I end up with a three page document just like you'd expect. But with two single documents it doesn't work. I'm going to experiment again later today with a couple of new files just in case for some reason the other ones are corrupted. Fortunately I remembered my old trick from long ago which is to drop the thumbnails where I expected (you get 2 documents 2 total pages) and then used the print command and choose Save as pdf. This actually saves what you want as a single pdf file. But it is a ridiculously long-winded way of doing it.

I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the suggestions though - at least you're trying!

Malcolm

Preview 6 and 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.