Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive Not Ejecting

I have a Western Digital MyBook that will not eject at all. I do not get the "device in use" type error messages or anything like that. When I try to eject it, the icon ghosts out as if its trying to eject, but will then just sit there, and I can do nothing with it. It even interfeers with shutdown as my computer starts to shut down, but then sits at a grey screen. My only option after that is to manually power off the computer. Without it connected, shutdown is normal. Does anyone know what may be going on and how to troubleshoot it?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 10:00 AM

7 replies

Nov 25, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Eustace Mendis

This is an old question, but the reason you are getting the error message is because your disk is actually in use. Try opening Console.app with your disk attached, then click your eject button. You should see the request to unmount several times in your console log, then you will see it fail with an explanation that it was in use by <foo> process. You can find out more about that that process by running `sudo lsof | grep -i <volume_name>`. Most likely the service using your disk is mds-related(spotlight indexing, or other meta-data tasks).

Once you know which service is preventing your drive from ejecting, you will have a better idea of what is "wrong"(if anything). Finder itself is behaving as it should though, and letting you know that it failed to eject the drive because another process using it was not finished.

Hard Drive Not Ejecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.