Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nano won't play songs and iTunes won't recognize it.

After disconnecting my Generation 5 Nano from my clock radio yesterday, the nano would freeze every time I tried to play a song. Any song. I've tried about everything, with my goal now to just "restore" the nano.

1. I reset it 25 or more times with select/menu.
  2. I reset the settings numerous times.
  3. Tried resetting it by going into Safe Mode (select/play) many, many times.
  4. Tried to restore by hooking up to iTunes, which doesn't recognize my nano (although the computer sees it).
  5. Upgraded to iTunes 11 -- No change.
  6. Tried a different computer. No change. Still not recognized, although, again, the computer (Windows) does.
  7. Tried different USB ports. No change.
  8. Tried "iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows" and all the different Windows fix possibilities -- nothing worked.

The only thing that has changed through all of this is that now when I click on a song, the screen swipes briefly over the acyual cover art song screen, then comes back to the song to click on again. So, now it's now freezing, just not playing. Other things like a few short saved videos, games, etc, do work fine.

If appears to me that I have a catch 22. I need to restore the nano, but can only restore through iTunes, which doesn't recognize my Nano.

Is there any other way to restore it?

Dennis

iPod nano, Windows XP

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 10:17 AM

1 reply

Jan 23, 2013 4:26 PM in response to dragansk

Replying to myself. Kept trying different areas of the ipod this evening, clicking various buttons, including some I'd never used before. All of a sudden I could see my Nano in iTunes. I quickly clicked on Restore before iTunes changed its mind about recognizing the iPod. Moved some songs onto it and it appears to be back to normal. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Nano won't play songs and iTunes won't recognize it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.