Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert spelling from English (US) to British, in a new file?

I have a book written in US English for the American market.

I wish to convert it to British spelling and then sell this book in the UK too.

I have reset the computer spelling in Apple Mac Book Pro preferences.

I then reset the preferences in IBook Inspector, as suggested in a previous thread for a new iBook file using Inspector/Text/More/Language

I then copied and pasted my chapters across.

The text still is in US English...

I am wondering what is the best way ahead....

Have I missed out a vital step or is there another step to do for each page?

Ken

iBook

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 11:30 AM

I don't think there is anything in iBooks Author which is going to change your text automatically. If you do select all and set the language to British English, it should underline all the mistakes in red and you can fix them manually, or you could do find/replace for all the words you want to change.

8 replies

Jan 24, 2013 7:05 AM in response to Mac_fool

Good ideas!

My wife is better at spotting errors so she sits with the iPad and suggests what to change on the Mac Book.

The -er in theatre etc are easy to pick up manually but the odd words that have one l rather than two are more difficult to spot.

Not that many words really to change manually but will check, check and double check.

Thanks,

Ken

Jan 24, 2013 2:12 PM in response to Mac_fool

I tried 'find and replace all' but got some unwanted results......

I now use 'next' and then 'replace' ..... Much safer.

The tip about commas in the UK .....

"Portugal, Spain, and France" (with the serial comma) or as "Portugal, Spain and France" (without the serial comma)

We use the second option and I have never seen the former in publications in the UK.

Convert spelling from English (US) to British, in a new file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.