Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie video does not run on PC with quick time!!!

I have produced a video on a Mac with imovie V 9.0.8 and exported via Quicktime. I tried to view the video on a PC with quicktime 7.7.3. Unfortunately this is not possible!! A simple link to a page with a number of third party suppliers should help! I do not have time and motivation to search in the jungle of codecs and secrets to find a correct solution. I do not understand apples policy. It is the most difficult thing to make a video and find a format that can be read with current software.

What can be done?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 1:08 PM

1 reply

Jan 23, 2013 2:18 PM in response to gericke007

I have produced a video on a Mac with imovie V 9.0.8 and exported via Quicktime. I tried to view the video on a PC with quicktime 7.7.3. Unfortunately this is not possible!! A simple link to a page with a number of third party suppliers should help! I do not have time and motivation to search in the jungle of codecs and secrets to find a correct solution.

What codec did you use for the export? I.e., It is most likely the video codec used for your export is causing the problem as it may not be included in the basic QT codec component package. (E.g., the Apple Intermediate Codec is only available on the Mac.)

I do not understand apples policy. It is the most difficult thing to make a video and find a format that can be read with current software.

If you exported the file for playback on a PC and selected or allowed a defaulted codec not available for the PC to be used, then the problem is self-inflected. The normal export combination would be H.264/AAC in an MOV, MP4, or M4V file container. Assuming the file was properly terminated and transferred between systems, any of these files should be playable in QT on your PC (as well as other third-party players like VLC, MPEG Streamclic, etc.)

What can be done?

The best option would probably be to re-export the project to any format known to be compatible with your PC QT install.

User uploaded file

imovie video does not run on PC with quick time!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.