11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 5:22 AM by msclaxton
msclaxton Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Will a SSD drive 7mm in height fit fine in to a MacBook Pro 13"?

One of the SSD drives i've been looking at is a Kingston 120GB SSD V+200 and it differs in heigh from other SSD drives i've looked at.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • 1. Re: SSD for MacBook Pro 13"
    OGELTHORPE Level 7 Level 7 (25,740 points)

One would think it should since the standard height is 9.5 mm.  To be on the safe side, I would contact the manufacturer to be certain.

Ciao.

• 2. Re: SSD for MacBook Pro 13"
    sh9683 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

personnally i think its way too much for not much memory,

• 3. Re: SSD for MacBook Pro 13"

Do you have any suggesstions for a better SSD? I'm looking for 120/128GB.

• 4. Re: SSD for MacBook Pro 13"
    Jon P D Level 4 Level 4 (1,495 points)

i like crucial and macsales

crucial have a tool where you can enter your system info and it will only show upgrades that will work with your computer

• 5. Re: SSD for MacBook Pro 13"

ny ssd is way over priced, i mean 1000$ for 1tb vs 200$ for a 1TB HHD, personnally i would go for HHD, cheaper, a little slower maybe, but better bang for buck

• 6. Re: SSD for MacBook Pro 13"

Well the reason i'm getting a SSD in my MacBook Pro is because i'm removing my optical drive and replacing it with a SSD.

• 7. Re: SSD for MacBook Pro 13"
    dmachine Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

check out hybrid drives as well. Amazon UK (if you're in Europe) has the best deals on SSD drives. Read the reviews and you should be fine. On average, expect to pay 1 USD/gigabyte of SSD space.

• 8. Re: SSD for MacBook Pro 13"

still a heck of a lot cheaper to go with hhd. wait till SSD prices drop to somewhat decent prices, sure their faster, but you don't have half the memory you could get with HHD

• 9. Re: SSD for MacBook Pro 13"
    clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 Level 7 (28,655 points)

And HDD's are a whole lot slower than SSD's. In fact, prices for SSDs have dropped - I paid $600 for my 512GB Crucial m4 SSD in April of 2012, and now it's just at (or below) $400. To the original poster - take a look at the Crucial website and compare prices for 128GB and 256GB m4 SSDs - only about $100 difference. And I would NOT put the SSD in the optibay - they just don't seem to work well as startup disks in the optibay. Put your SSD in the HD bay and your HDD in the optibay for trouble-free operation.

Good luck,

Clinton

• 10. Re: SSD for MacBook Pro 13"

personally i would wait a couple years, to the point where i can get ssd for dirt cheap. right now the price is not worth the speed,

• 11. Re: SSD for MacBook Pro 13"

I've gone for the Crucial M4 128GB SSD for £84.99 and is working as expected. Tonight i'm removing the optical drive and putting the HDD back in so I have dual HDD's.

Is it worth creating my own Fusion drive or is it too risky? My original plan was to have the OS and applications/documents on the SSD and use the other internal HDD for media use. But then I read a guide on creating your own Fusion drive and looks easy but not sure if its worth it and if it carries any risks.