Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install my old OSX on a different computer after upgrading?

I have a couple questions:

1) I currently have Snow Leopard on my one computer and on another computer I just have Leopard. I am purchasing Mountain Lion from the App Store today and am going to install it onto my computer with Snow Leopard. Can I then take my old Snow Leopard disk and instal it onto my other computer?

2) When installing Mountain Lion onto my computer, will everything (Files, applications, games, etc) remain? Or does it wipe everything out?

3) I ultimately want Mountain Lion on both of my computers, does that mean I need to buy two copy's? Or can I down the same copy of Mountain Lion from the App Store on both computer and install?

Thank you in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated!

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 12:25 PM

5 replies

Jan 23, 2013 12:31 PM in response to Dubs89

1) If SL was the original OS installed on that computer, you can't install it on a different computer. The DVDs are tied to the original computer.

2) If you are upgrading ML over SL without erasing the drive, your apps and data will not be touched. Just the OS. However, it's always good practice to backup your system before doing an upgrade.

3) Once you buy ML from the App Store you can install it on as many computers you own or operate without further charges. You just login to the App Store with the AppleID that made the ML purchase, download it and install it on the other computers.

Jan 23, 2013 12:37 PM in response to keg55

1) If SL was the original OS installed on that computer, you can't install it on a different computer. The DVDs are tied to the original computer.

Technically, if they are tied to anything it would be the computer model, not the physical computer itself. That means you could use it to install OS X on any computer with which those discs are compatible as long as you did not install on more than one computer at a time. I know this is a tad nit-picky, but that's the way it happens to be. No intended offense. Just hoping to be helpful. 🙂

Can I install my old OSX on a different computer after upgrading?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.