Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicktrack in headphones only while recording???

Hi,

What is the easiest way to just hear your clicktrack only in your headphones while recording...and have the mix go through the monitors only? The reason I am asking is because I am recording my acoustic/electric guitar directly into my audio interface so the acoustic drowns out the clicktrack...throwing off my timing.

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 12:03 PM

You will need to either setup and separate output from your soundcard for you headphones - ie mix going outs 1&2, click routed to outs 3&4 (via the enviroment object for click) - headphones plugged/routed to 3&4 from your soundcard. Or if you don't have multiple outs on your soundcard the very basic - but easy - way to do it is to go to Preferences>Audio and uncheck "Software Monitoring" in the Core Audio page. That way you won't hear the guitar that's being recorded at all in you headphones - but you will hear anything else being played back, including the click. As you're playing acoustic you should be able to hear it perfectly well - err acoustically, if not try taking one headphone off, so you have click in one ear and guitar in the other...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2013 12:03 PM in response to cauchy

You will need to either setup and separate output from your soundcard for you headphones - ie mix going outs 1&2, click routed to outs 3&4 (via the enviroment object for click) - headphones plugged/routed to 3&4 from your soundcard. Or if you don't have multiple outs on your soundcard the very basic - but easy - way to do it is to go to Preferences>Audio and uncheck "Software Monitoring" in the Core Audio page. That way you won't hear the guitar that's being recorded at all in you headphones - but you will hear anything else being played back, including the click. As you're playing acoustic you should be able to hear it perfectly well - err acoustically, if not try taking one headphone off, so you have click in one ear and guitar in the other...

Clicktrack in headphones only while recording???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.