Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting mpg to avi

I have a bunch of mpg files that I took with an analog Sony camcorder. I would like to use them in iMovie, but need to covert them to avi or mov files. Does anyone know of a free converter that I could download?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 8:31 PM

2 replies

Jan 23, 2013 11:40 PM in response to rsrskinner

I too searched for something to convert analogue tapes from a VCR and couldn't find anything free. I eventually bought "video capture" for 85 bucks (Australian) http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Video-Capture/product1.en.html It works very well and I found it had the added advantage of being able to convert LP records onto my computer from an old record player. It might work for a camera but I think it only comes with a usb 2 connection which probably wouldn't fit a camera, but further research and conversion cable might be available somewhere. Hope this helps

Jan 24, 2013 6:00 AM in response to rsrskinner

I would suggest that you try MPEG Streamclip, which is free. You can get it here.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Drag your MPG clip into MPEG Streamclip. Then use FILE/EXPORT TO QUICKTIME Choose Apple Intermediate Codec for compression. This will produce a MOV file that you can use in iMovie.

By the way, if your camera makes MPG files, it is digital, not analog. MPG was used for some older standard definition digital camcorders.

There is a chance you will need to purchase an extra component. MPEG Streamclip will tell you if that is so.

I think it is unlikely in your case. In any event the extra component can be purchased from Apple for about $20.

It is the Apple QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component.

Converting mpg to avi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.