Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple USB Superdrive works with Mac Pro

Not a question, just figured this would be good a place as any to post to help people that found themselves in the same situation as myself.

My internal superdrive stopped working and I really wanted an Apple Superdrive, but was afraid it wouldnt work. Found a website that helped me do it, but it was confusing enough that some people might not feel comfortable trying it. So i to the plunge and bought the Apple USB Superdrive that was not supposed to work with this computer and posted the instructions for others.

I performed the following task and it works just fine, reads data and works with Apple DVD Player, eject functions work properly. It only took a few seconds and was super easy.

My computer is a 2006 1st gen Mac Pro 2x3.0ghz quad-core intel xeon running Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Do the following:

Open Terminal and paste this:

sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Then press return

Then paste this:

<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”UTF-8″?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC “-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN” “http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd”>
<plist version=”1.0″>
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>mbasd=1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Then press Control-X, press Y, press enter to save it.

Restart your computer

It works

Hope this helps someone make the jump!

Mark

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 11:05 PM

5 replies

Jan 24, 2013 8:49 AM in response to markorozco

The work-arounds mentioned in the posts above address Macs that are pre-configured NOT to allow the use of the Apple USB-bus powered SuperDive.

The remaining "issue" is that some computers cannot produce enough USB power to operate this drive correctly. (it appears to demand more than the specified 0.5 Amp limit.)

Being a stubborn old f@rt, I bought an external powered USB enclosure for a DVD drive, and moved a spare Apple SuperDrive (from a Mac Pro) into it. I was surprised and delighted that all the Intel Macs I own seem perfectly willing to boot from it.

No parameter tweaking has been necessary for this externally-powered drive.

Apple USB Superdrive works with Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.