Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change Diskname in TimeMachine

I completed switching from old to new external harddrive, and everything went smoothly, and I'm able to backup and recover to new drive.

However, even after repeatedly changing external hard drive, by doing the following:

-Clicked on "select disk"

-Selecting the name of the new drive

-Clicking on "Use for Backup"

the name of the old external drive still shows up on Time Machine window.

I also have disconnected the old external harddrive.

Any ideas why it still shows the name of the old external drive?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 10:34 PM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2013 10:14 PM in response to mende1

Hello Mende1,

Thanks for replying. I apologize I didn't notice your response. I mistakenly thought I would get an email notice when someone replied. Anyways...

I went through every step very carefully, and several times, making sure, that drive was disconnected, that time machine was off, and deleting the plist file from mac->Library->preferences->com.apple.TimeMachine.plist.

However, whenever I reconnect drive the drive and select disk's new name, the old name still comes up.

I'm guessing it's reading the name of the old drive from somewhere, but not sure from where.

Any other ideas?

Feb 7, 2013 10:31 PM in response to mende1

Mende1,

One more thing to add. The com.apple.TimeMachine.plist file in step 5 is practically empty every time I check it.

5.Delete the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

(in your top-level Library folder, not the Library folder inside your home folder,...

However, that same file under my acct->Library->Preferences has a lot of information, including the name of the old external drive.

Is it possible this is the one I need to delete?

how to change Diskname in TimeMachine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.