Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Migration Assistant

Greetings...

I am looking for any "tips" (you guys may have) for successfully transferring my information (using the MIgration Assistant). I have a USB Backup of my old PowerBook G4's (lost in a move recently), and I'd like to restore all my "App's & Files" to onto a PowerMac G5 that I aquired recently (2Ghz DualCore).

I've already installed a "Clean OS" of the SAME operating system that was running on my PowerBook at the time...Mac OS X Leopard (v.10.5.8). BUT, when I plug the USB Backup Drive into the PowerMac G5 and start the Migration Assistant...the USB Drive doesn't appear (at the point I'd choose the Drive).

The USB Drive DOES show up on the Desktop okay (and checks out with the Disk Utility, etc). So, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong (?). The backup itself is simply a "full copy" of the PowerBook's HardDrive...wasn't using Time Machine at that point in time, etc. Does anyone have any tips for me out there?

I appreciate any idea's you guys my have...Chip

Chip Henley

Fort Worth, TX

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 11:02 PM

1 reply

Jan 23, 2013 11:07 PM in response to chiphenley

You can only use Migration Assistant to restore a Time Machine backup. In your case, you can restore the data manually from the external drive.

Also, how did you clone the internal drive onto the external drive? If you made it with Carbon Copy Cloner or another clone application, you can restore the whole external drive onto the internal drive starting from the external drive and restoring the clone with the same app. If you simply copied all the files to the external drive on Finder, you have to restore manually the data

Using Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.