Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Capturing bad DV/DVCAM tape

I asked a similar question a while back, but the jury seems to be out on it all.

I get this - http://i.imgur.com/LUNwCTm.jpg - a lot when capturing bad DV/DVCAM/HDV footage via firewire into FCP 7.

I know that I can change the user preferences to warn after capture or make new clip. It doesn't matter. FCP stops the capture process all together and makes me restart the capture now with a new clip. I've tried capture now, clip capture, capture with non-controllable device, ect. - none of them work for my situations.

I think the only answer is to re-record the footage to a second DV deck, or use some 3rd party capture software that will allow me to capture across the breaks. Any recommendations? I'm about to try iMovie to see if it'll take it. I found sometimes it's not a picky as FCP.

Thanks,

Jarrod

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 16GB RAM

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 6:34 AM

jarrodmakesvideos wrote:

I think the only answer is to re-record the footage to a second DV deck, or use some 3rd party capture software that will allow me to capture across the breaks. Any recommendations? I'm about to try iMovie to see if it'll take it. I found sometimes it's not a picky as FCP.

Thanks,

Jarrod

The only thing you didn't mention is cleaning the playback device heads.

If you are dealing with just DV/DVCPro, you may want to try using LiveCapturePlus (if I remember correctly) from Squarebox. I'm not sure if it runs on current versions of OSX but I found it very useful back in the DV day.

If you go the Dub route, make sure you start the RECORDING deck first so it begins to laydown new timecode before the incoming signal is detected. This way the old tape TC will be ignored. If you send the signal to the recording deck before starting to record, the recording deck will simply accept the incoming TC and you do not address the problem.

Good luck.

x

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2013 6:34 AM in response to jarrodmakesvideos

jarrodmakesvideos wrote:

Thanks,

Jarrod

The only thing you didn't mention is cleaning the playback device heads.

If you are dealing with just DV/DVCPro, you may want to try using LiveCapturePlus (if I remember correctly) from Squarebox. I'm not sure if it runs on current versions of OSX but I found it very useful back in the DV day.

If you go the Dub route, make sure you start the RECORDING deck first so it begins to laydown new timecode before the incoming signal is detected. This way the old tape TC will be ignored. If you send the signal to the recording deck before starting to record, the recording deck will simply accept the incoming TC and you do not address the problem.

Good luck.

x

Jan 25, 2013 1:32 AM in response to jarrodmakesvideos

Hi

I use one or both of these strategies

• Import via iMovie HD6 - set to import without sceen breaks

• When everything fails

- Analog out from Camera

- in via A/D-box - AND HERE I USE a CANOPUS ADVC-300 (now named Grass Valley ADVC-300)

AS this device can mend TimeCode breaks - AND even with Dorp outs - KEEPS AUDIO in Perfect SYNC !

Yours Bengt W

Capturing bad DV/DVCAM tape

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.