Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect an ipad mini to a smart board?, Can I connect an ipad mini to a smart board?

Can I connect an ipad mini to a smart board?

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 6:49 AM

Yes, you can.

10 replies

Jan 24, 2013 9:10 AM in response to jenclardy

While Jim is correct that you can use a VGA cable to project onto a SmartBoard, you cannot directly connect an iPad to an interactive whiteboard and interact with it through the SmartBoard's touch screen as you can with a full computer. When you use a computer with an interactive whiteboard there are two connections - the display (usually through the projector, the VGA part) and the USB cable that allows the IWB to basically function as a large mouse to control the computer. The latter will not work on the iPad.

Jan 24, 2013 11:48 AM in response to jenclardy

not at this point. It would require Smart (or any other IWB company, such as Promethean or Mimio) to develop an app for the iPad, and none of them have yet.

On the other hand, you can go the other way - use the iPad as a replacement for the SmartBoard. You can use the iPad to control the computer itself, the one that's displayed on the Smartboard (one app that lets you do that is Splashtop Remote, although there are others). You can run the Smartboard software/content on the computer, but instead of controlling it by touching the board, you control it by touching the iPad. The advantage of this is that you're no longer blocking the displayed image - you can be off to the side, you can give it to students at a desk or on the floor, so the students can see whatever is being done on the board instead of a teacher/student shadow in front of it.

Jan 25, 2013 5:19 AM in response to jenclardy

Yes, the notebook app... but all it does is allow you to read/view Smart Notebook files, as I understand.

If all you were thinking of the iPad for is a computer replacement to connect to the Smartboard, then no, it's not worth it. As a static, sit on the desk device, any laptop that can run the Smart software is far better than the iPad. However... if you look at the way I described the iPad use in my post, as a way to control the computer, in my opinion it is far superior to the IWB. The biggest drawback of Smartboards (or any other IWB) is that whoever is controlling it is blocking the image from the rest of the class. If you run the Smart software on the computer, however, and control it with the iPad, then the iPad becomes the touchscreen and the students can manipulate the objects/text with a clear view for the rest of the class to see.

Can I connect an ipad mini to a smart board?, Can I connect an ipad mini to a smart board?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.