Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop updates for non-existent hardware?

I keep getting HP printer software updates for a printer I have not owned or used for several months. All software for that printer has been removed from my computer. How do I get Apple or HP to stop sending those updates?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 10:32 AM

5 replies

Jan 28, 2013 8:50 PM in response to WZZZ

I have the same problem as the OP, and I DID uninstall everything having to do with HP, at least as far as I know. I went to Finder and "Go to" folder and entered /var/db/receipts as you suggested above. Unfortunately, there were no files with com.hp. in there. Instead of having to tell the Software Updater to ignore the update, I'd love to find a permanent way of getting HP out of my computer! Do you have any other ideas by any chance?? Thanks!

Jan 29, 2013 5:02 AM in response to lmb1961

Outside of looking in /var/db/receipts there are generic printers in /library/printers for many different printer manufacturers. But since they are automatically installed as part of the original OS install--and this is only an educated guess--I don't think Software Update would be looking at those. (Although, I just reinstalled my HP software and I notice several new files at that location.) If it did, you'd be getting notices for updates for many different printer brands, that is, assuming other brands put out updates through Apple.

I assume you removed Hewlett-Packard from /Applications and from /Library/Applicaton Support.

Basically a long winded answer to say I don't know.

How do I stop updates for non-existent hardware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.