Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast audio restarting but timeline is not?

Hey y'all, one of the podcasts I listen to daily will sometimes work normally and other times during the middle of the episode, the audio stream will just start over from the beginning and when I open it back up to check the episode, it still says I'm half way through and the time bar just keeps on moving like normal. I have found no way to fix this and it renders that part of the timeline unable to be listened to and I miss out on part of the show. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? The only way I can hear the whole show is to wait for it to be uploaded to the hosts website and stream it from safari via their site and not over anything podcasts or iTunes related.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 9:27 AM

I'm having this same problem, although sometimes it happens multiple times in a single podcast. For example, today I was listening to a podcast that restarted after 1:10, 5:25, and then about 10 minutes later, but I'm not sure the time because the timeline showed the podcast as already over.

6 replies

Feb 5, 2013 5:07 PM in response to Proto1Star

I am also having this problem. It seems to occur when a podcast download times out or pauses and resumes. I think this might have to do with older podcast hosts not supporting byte-range requests based on what I've seen, but I'm not certain. My only solution has been to delete the episode, and redownload it in iTunes praying that it does it in one try. Took me 45 minutes to get an episode to download properly today. Very annoying!

May 24, 2013 2:16 PM in response to Proto1Star

I keep having this problem, but only with one podcast: Tavis Smiley on PBS. I tried communicating with the woman in charge of podcast for his on another issue - to try and help them - about 18 months ago, and she was really obtuse and defensive, and claerly didn't understand the technology. So I'm just presuming it's the same person and that they're screwing this piece up too now.

It's sad.

Jun 4, 2013 8:59 AM in response to Karl Dawson

I have been seeing this problem on and off for a few months and I think Karl has identified the source. I have been having trouble getting the podcasts to download before my laptop goes to sleep and have had to resume the downloads later. Now I know I will need to start the downloads from the beginning until a better solution is offered.

Podcast audio restarting but timeline is not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.