Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile manager and wiki read error

Hello everyone,

I did something dumb. REALLY dumb. I deleted /Library/Server on my Mac Pro running Mac OS 10.8 ML Server

Of course, no backup.

When I realised that Server.app was displaying tons of errors, I installed a fresh copy of ML Server in a VM. I then copied /Library/Server back in my main machine, deleted Server.app and reinstalled it through the mac app store.

Now everything works fine except the profile manager and the wiki that both display "Error reading settings". I tried to run wipeDB (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5349) as root but here what comes out of this:

server:~ Loup$ sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/wipeDB .sh

devicemgr:state = "STOPPED"

postgres_server:error = "CANNOT_START_SERVICE_TIMEOUT_ERR"

(in /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend)

Couldn't drop device_management : #<PGError: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Is the server running locally and accepting

connections on Unix domain socket "/Library/Server/PostgreSQL For Server Services/Socket/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

>

could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Is the server running locally and accepting

connections on Unix domain socket "/Library/Server/PostgreSQL For Server Services/Socket/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:9 41:in `initialize'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:9 41:in `connect'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:9 41:in `connect'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:2 17:in `initialize'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:3 7:in `new'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:3 7:in `postgresql_connection'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_poo l.rb:223:in `send'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_poo l.rb:223:in `new_connection'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_poo l.rb:245:in `checkout_new_connection'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_poo l.rb:188:in `checkout'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_poo l.rb:184:in `loop'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_poo l.rb:184:in `checkout'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/monitor. rb:242:in `synchronize'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_poo l.rb:183:in `checkout'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_poo l.rb:98:in `connection'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_poo l.rb:326:in `retrieve_connection'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_spe cification.rb:123:in `retrieve_connection'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_spe cification.rb:115:in `connection'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/railties/lib/tasks/databases.rake:70:in `create_database'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/ rails/railties/lib/tasks/databases.rake:31

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 636:in `call'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 636:in `execute'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 631:in `each'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 631:in `execute'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 597:in `invoke_with_call_chain'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/monitor. rb:242:in `synchronize'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 590:in `invoke_with_call_chain'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 583:in `invoke'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 2051:in `invoke_task'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 2029:in `top_level'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 2029:in `each'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 2029:in `top_level'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 2068:in `standard_exception_handling'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 2023:in `top_level'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 2001:in `run'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 2068:in `standard_exception_handling'

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb: 1998:in `run'

/usr/bin/rake:31

Couldn't create database for {"adapter"=>"postgresql", "host"=>"/Library/Server/PostgreSQL For Server Services/Socket", "pool"=>5, "database"=>"device_management", "username"=>"_devicemgr", "encoding"=>"UTF8"}

devicemgr:state = "STARTING"

server:~ Loup$

I think that I will have to wipe my Macintosh HD and reinstall the OS again. 😟 the problem is that I have "software-based RAID" and I'm affraid that it won't mount the drives correctly if I wipe my Macintosh HD and reinstall ML server again.

Help please !

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 1:22 PM

7 replies

Jan 25, 2013 1:25 PM in response to loup.bell

Look at your postgres logs using the Console app

/Library/Logs/PostgreSQL

post any results

post output of

sudo serveradmin settings postgres

Look at the output of above and note the path for "postgres:data"

Run this command if it matches your path:

sudo chown -R _postgres:_postgres /Library/Server/PostgreSQL/Data

Try starting postgres again and post anything interesting

Jan 25, 2013 4:06 PM in response to UptimeJeff

With the last command you gave me (chown), I was able to get postgres up and running 🙂

Here is what I executed:

sudo chown -R _postgres:_postgres "/Library/Server/PostgreSQL For Server Services"

sudo chown -R _postgres:_postgres /Library/Server/PostgreSQL/Data

Then, I ran the wipeDB command...

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/wipeDB .sh

devicemgr:state = "RUNNING"

devicemgr:state = "STARTING"

One quick reboot.

then, a little check-up at postgres

server:~ Loup$ sudo serveradmin fullstatus postgres

Password:

postgres:dataDirHasBeenInitialized = yes

postgres:PG_VERSION = "9.2.1"

postgres:dataDir = "/Library/Server/PostgreSQL/Data"

postgres:postgresIsResponding = yes

postgres:dataDirIsDirectory = yes

postgres:PGserverVersion = 90201

postgres:dataDirExists = yes

postgres:setStateVersion = 1

postgres:state = "RUNNING"

Since then, the wiki section in the Server.app does not display an error message and seems to work fine. My problem is 50% solved 😀 You're just awesome UptimeJeff. All errors about postgres in Console.app have dissapered.

But the profile manager still displays an error in Server.app (error reading settings)

I will post the lines that appears in Console.app that seems suspicious to me.

2013-01-25 17:54:59,758 ProfileManager[1491]: devicemgrd: Terminating on unhandled exception Permission denied - /var/devicemgr/ServiceData/Data/migration at /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devi cemgrd:238:in `initialize'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devic emgrd:238:in `new'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devic emgrd:238:in `SetupRails'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devic emgrd:158:in `Run'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devic emgrd:851

2013-01-25 17:54:59,761 com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.devicemanager[1491]) Exited with code: 1

2013-01-25 17:54:59,761 com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.devicemanager) Throttling respawn: Will start in 8 seconds

2013-01-25 17:55:01,101 ProfileManager[1519]: devicemgrd: Terminating on unhandled exception No such file or directory - /var/devicemgr/ServiceData/Data/migration at /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devi cemgrd:238:in `initialize'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devic emgrd:238:in `new'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devic emgrd:238:in `SetupRails'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devic emgrd:158:in `Run'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devic emgrd:851

2013-01-25 17:55:01,148 servermgrd[203]: servermgr_devicemgr: PrepareDatabase: 'devicemgrd -migrate' status = 1

2013-01-25 17:55:01,828 sudo[1569]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin/psql -h /Library/Server/PostgreSQL For Server Services/Socket -U webauth -d webauth -c SELECT max(version) FROM schema_migrations

2013-01-25 17:55:01,872 Server[671]: error reading data stores for servermgr_devicemgr = Error Domain=servermgr_devicemgr Code=1 "PrepareDatabase: 'devicemgrd -migrate' status = 1" UserInfo=0x7ff49bc912e0 {NSLocalizedDescription=PrepareDatabase: 'devicemgrd -migrate' status = 1}

2013-01-25 17:55:01,873 Server[671]: Error: The server '127.0.0.1' reported an error while processing a command of type: 'readSettings' in plug-in: 'servermgr_devicemgr'. Error: Error Domain=servermgr_devicemgr Code=1 "PrepareDatabase: 'devicemgrd -migrate' status = 1" UserInfo=0x7ff49bc912e0 {NSLocalizedDescription=PrepareDatabase: 'devicemgrd -migrate' status = 1}

2013-01-25 17:55:07,846 ProfileManager[1573]: Failed to delete '/var/devicemgr/ServiceData/Data/tmp'. Permission denied - /var/devicemgr/ServiceData/Data/tmp

For references purposes, here is the output of sudo serveradmin settings postgres

sudo serveradmin settings postgres

Password:

postgres:log_connections = "on"

postgres:log_directory = "/Library/Logs/PostgreSQL"

postgres:listen_addresses = "127.0.0.1,::1"

postgres:unix_socket_group = "_postgres"

postgres:log_statement = "ddl"

postgres:log_line_prefix = "%t "

postgres:unix_socket_permissions = "0770"

postgres:log_lock_waits = "on"

postgres:logging_collector = "on"

postgres:log_filename = "PostgreSQL.log"

postgres:dataDir = "/Library/Server/PostgreSQL/Data"

postgres:unix_socket_directory = "/private/var/pgsql_socket"

Again, a HUGE thanks. You already helped me A LOT.

Jan 26, 2013 6:51 AM in response to loup.bell

Glad you are on the way to sorting this out.

I can't be much help on device manager, I've never used it.

Looking at the first line you provided, it lists a permission issue at

/var/devicemgr/ServiceData/Data/migration

Check your permissions there with

ls -al /var/devicemgr/ServiceData/Data/*

Everything there should be owned by user=_devicemgr and group=_devicemgr

If its not, you can fix with

sudo chown -R _devicemgr:_devicemgr /var/devicemgr/ServiceData/Data

Hope that gets you closer..

Jeff

Jan 28, 2013 7:11 PM in response to UptimeJeff

First of all, you deserve a HUGE thank you. My problem is now solved, and you definitely contributed to the repair process. You are simply awesome, THANKS 😀

Here's what I did....

I checked the permissions like you suggested me... that led me to discover that /var/devicemgr/ServiceData is not a directory.... it's a shortcut. Initially, the shortcut was pointing at itself (infinite loop)

I continued to google my problem, and found that there's a gold mine hidden in Mountain Lion Server at /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/ServerSetup/CommonE xtras

I simply deleted the shortcut in /var/devicemgr/ServiceData and ran /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/ServerSetup/CommonE xtras/80-devicemgrcommon.sh as root (sudo -s) to recreate all devicemgr files.

Now everything is up and running.... but prior to doing this, it is very important to fix postgreSQL folders permissions like you suggested to me. with sudo chown -R _postgres:_postgres /Library/Server/PostgreSQL/Data

hope this can help anyone else with the same problem!

Profile manager and wiki read error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.