Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a free visual file browser for windows similar to a macintosh?

on macs, in the finder, i can see visually what a file looks like. jpegs, pdf's, videos, ect.

windows users are blind and can only see a symbol of one of the programs that will let them open the file.

Does there exist a free (preferred) windows equivelent visual file browser?

iMac, imac, macpro, macbook, ipad, ect.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 2:29 PM

10 replies

Jan 24, 2013 7:08 PM in response to Sam Beaver

on macs, in the finder, files have a tiny little picture of what the file looks like.

windows there is no such preview, you only get the name of the file and the symbol of the default program that will open the file.

it is crazy frustrating to tell someone to go look at the so and so named file with the red so and so, they end up opening every so and so named file. I can see the difference just by looking at a folder, while in windows, there is no such method besides opening everything or having the mac guy do it for them.

need to find something like adobe bridge for windows peoples, except free and more usefull.

is there some visual file browser for windows people?

Feb 21, 2013 12:42 PM in response to eboyblue3

awesome article. thank you for the link.

tried all of the settings on my windows 7 computer, did not work to get image thumbnails to work.

the options were not available in windows xp.

asked my IT guy about it, he did not know that it was possible for the computer to show a small preview of the file.

could it perhaps be because files are located on a group server?

I wonder if these settings would need to be changed on the group server for it to work on the individual computers?

thank you for the article though, if we ever get a more advanced IT guy, I will have the proper terminology to communicate the need for image thumbnails. until then, the windows people can just keep on opening every d***** single file to see what they look like.

is there a free visual file browser for windows similar to a macintosh?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.