Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Mouse, Keyboard not recognized in Windows

Hello,

I have just installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my late 2012 iMac, the installation seems to have gone well except that after running the Bootcamp setup program Windows restarted and now does not recognize any mouse/keyboard - USB mouse and keyboeard as well as Magic Trackpad/Bluetooth keyboard are unresponsive. They worked before the restart, and also work in Safe mode.

Has anyone had/fixed this issue, or can direct me to instructions to help? I've looked over the forum and not found same issue. I'm assuming any fix would have to work in Safe mode as I can't do anything in Normal mode!

USB port issue?

I'm also assuming I will have to separately fix the Trackpad/Apple Keyboard issue, but first just want to get basic USB devices working.

Thanks!

iMac, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 2:26 PM

26 replies

Jan 24, 2013 4:03 PM in response to Brother9

Had exactly the same issue doing exactly the samw thing on my late 2012 iMac. Definatleu a software/driver issue.

My work around:-

Boot from Windows DVD, click repair, use System Restore to turn it back to before bootcamp driver install.

Open the Windows Support folder you downloaded using Bootcamp Assistant, but don't run Setup, instead install each driver in all the folders individually.Only restart when all installed. I'm writing this in Windows now.

However, I can't install the Bootcamp software, because it can only be installed by running Setup.

I'm about to do this now. Wish me luck !!

Will keep you posted

Thanks

Jan 27, 2013 11:49 AM in response to Hotspur41

Update for anyone having this same issue - by uninstalling the "USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver" in safe mode, I've now got USB mouse and Apple Bluetooth keyboard working. Not tried Bluetooth Trackpad yet and assume this means USB 3.0 won't work with my Windows Bootcamp. But that seems to have been the initial issue.

Jan 30, 2013 6:10 PM in response to DubyaD

Well... not sure why.. I unistalled the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host, leaving the driver on the system. Rebooted, after system set for a few minutes at Windows login screen the USB keyboard started working. Once in Windows 7 I reinstalled just the wireless mouse driver and now all works...

Any idea of how you set Num-lock on the wired apple keyboard? In Windows the 10 key numerc section does not work for the numerals...?

Mar 8, 2013 4:10 PM in response to AC6VV-is-me

Just an update: I talked to Apple tech support and was informed that I need to take this to Microsoft's Macintosh Support Group, which was after the tech has talked to Microsoft. She gave me the number to call Microsoft. I called it and after going through the menus I reached a polite person who insisted you can't run Windows on a Mac and that there is no Microsoft Macintosh Support group.

Just for good measure I called the Apple group again and a different tech told me to call 1-800-Microsoft. I did and got the same menus and a different tech who also insisted Macintosh and Windows computers are entirely different and Windows can't be installed on a Mac. I asked for the Microsoft Macintosh Support Group again and was again told the group doesn't exist.

I told the gentleman to have a nice day and hung up, so I could scream at the walls and use nasty words.

BTW: If anyone at Apple or Microsoft is listening, the Apple case ID was 421511065 and the Microsoft case number was 1199297977. Poor Bootcamp -- Nobody claims it.

Mar 9, 2013 10:01 PM in response to AC6VV-is-me

Good News: I got it working OK. Not sure exactly what fixed it, but will list what was done differently in case it helps someone else.

1. Did a clean install from the Windows 7 Pro x64 disk I had purchased. The first time I had used an ISO image downloaded from the Internet (not MS site) to create the thumb drive installer, per Bootcamp 4 instructions.

2. Updated the Windows install using MS Update. I had to install some drivers I found on the Bootcamp disk I made the previous time. Those drivers were anything relative to Network and WiFi, so I was able to access the Internet. Before that I couldn't connect.

3. After the above, I repeated the download process that downloades the Windows support software for Bootcamp and made a new CD.

It worked.

I still find the service from Microsoft and even Apple to be an exercise polite but useless finger pointing. Neither organization wanted to help me. As with most tech support groups, the object is to get rid of the problem if possible by blaming someone else. Imagine what might have happened if the Apple tech would have actually conferenced me on a call to Microsoft! Tech support is non-existent for Bootcamp.

Drop a line to AC6VV@arrl.net if you need anything explained about the above. Cheers. -John

May 26, 2013 5:55 PM in response to Brother9

I had the same issue and here is what resolved my issue:

1. Go to Devie Manager
  2. Look for "Other Devices"
  3. right click on "Keyboard Hub" <-- this apparently is my Appple Keyboard with USB mouse connected to it
  4. select Update Driver.. (must be connected to internet)... then wait..
  5. should be working after the update (see attached image)User uploaded file

Jun 18, 2013 8:18 AM in response to Brother9

So I had the same issue.

After installing bootcamp drivers I had to go into safe mode and uninstall Intel's USB 3.0 drivers.

Then I was able to get into windows "normal mode" and run windows update. I'm not sure which update fixed this issue but one did. Then after installing all the updates you can reinstall the USB 3.0 drivers and reboot.

Now everything should work. Good luck to all!

USB Mouse, Keyboard not recognized in Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.