Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imported video cut off

A 10:59 .mov clip, imported into FCP7, imports at a length of 10:22 and the video/audio are out of sync.

I have tried different formats and settings and audio rates.

Original file is a .mov which gives me a "general error" in FCP, so I processed it through MPEG Streamclip or Compressor; clips will play but with same results every time.

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 6:41 PM

7 replies

Jan 25, 2013 10:39 AM in response to rwhitlock

Hmm...from Quicktime, I exported it, and that file imported into FCP correctly!

Everything else: the files were the correct duration of 19:03.

But when imported into FCP the durations didn't match: audio-only imported 19:03, video imported 17:59

So video and audio together imported at 17:59 out of sync and the extra audio was cut off.

The original .mov file is a Skype recording.

H.264, 320 x 240

AAC, 44100 Hz, Stereo (L R)

13.4 fps

data rate 147.49 kbit/s

Jan 25, 2013 12:42 PM in response to rwhitlock

I would say your original source material is the problem. Non-standard frame size, non-standard frame rate.

It is one thing to import a file into FCP and view it, is another to attempt to edit it.

What is your intended final output (frame size, frame rate, codec, end use)?

You need to convert it (if possible) into a format that is FCP edit friendly.

MtD

Jan 25, 2013 1:07 PM in response to Meg The Dog

I didn't use the original file in FCP (which gave me a general error when I tried to play it), I converted it into different formats (I tried .mov and .mp4 at different settings) almost all of which went out of sync and truncated the audio upon import. The only file that worked was an export from QT.

My final outputs were exported QT files, and also sent to Compressor for DVD output.

Jan 25, 2013 2:18 PM in response to rwhitlock

rwhitlock wrote:

I didn't use the original file in FCP (which gave me a general error when I tried to play it), I converted it into different formats (I tried .mov and .mp4 at different settings)

I understand that, I am wanted to see what you were starting with.

The discrepancy of the length of the clip is likely a result of the strange original media frame rate.

When you used MPEG Streamclip or Compressor to convert the clips, what frame rate, frame size and codec did you convert them to?

What are your sequence settings that you are trying to edit the clips into?

MtD

Jan 25, 2013 2:41 PM in response to rwhitlock

Did you read my post? Or MtD's posts? Can't help you if you don't answer the questions thoroughly. If you don't understand the question, ASK! What format of quicktime did you convert to? Select the clip in the browser or timeline in fcp and hit command-9 and tell us pixel dimensions, frame rate and codec.

Read this thread

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4738144?answerId=21017143022#21017143022&ac_cid=tw123456#21017143

sounds like a problem with a similar cause.

Imported video cut off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.