Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAP processes connected to you account.

i am having an impossibly aggravating issue where my IMAP accounts in MAC MAIL are supposedly sending a bunch of processes to my website that these email addresses are connected to. i've turned off what they told me to turn off and the site keeps getting shut down.

"We are sorry for your continued issues with 500 errors. However they are still being caused by IMAP connections to your email accounts. Here is a list of the current processes connected to you account."

anyone in the mac world know how to fix this? it is apparently a known issue on the hosts end.

TIA

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), with 64 bit Win7 Boot Camp | iCloud

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 9:59 PM

This problem is sometimes reported with low-quality mail hosting services such as "Hostgator." The solution is to switch to a better mail host. A workaround is to use a different mail client, such as Thunderbird or Sparrow.

7 replies

Jan 25, 2013 7:39 AM in response to Linc Davis

hi linc.

can you help me with any technical details as to why this happens? i moved from APlus due to issues and so far HostGator has been fantastic. Also, i did a lot of research on trying to find a good host and this is where i settled.

moving hosts in the next two months is not an option but moving to sparrow might be. it is a long story but i have a site still hosted on APlus (soon to be on hostgator at least according to my current plan) and i have like fifteen email addresses between the two of them. this is on 3 devices (3 x 15) plus i have about 8 email signatures which i just finalized for the umteenth time.

is there a way to get into Mac Mail and keep it from sending all these processes?

alternatively, is Sparrow a good option? i have been from TB then to mac Mail then to Postbox (ack) and then back to Mail where i am currently taking up residence. would Sparrow be a good solution to this given the relatively heavy and involved use of email on my end??

THANKS

Jan 25, 2013 7:19 PM in response to hotwheels22

I'll bet it has a lot to do with the fact that you have three devices checking fifteen mail addresses on the same server around the same time. If all three devices check all fifteen addresses frequently, and if the server isn't good about tidying up closed connections, the total connection account could add up quickly.

How many processes were in the list your ISP supplied?

Jan 31, 2013 8:14 AM in response to markwmsn

hi guys. thanks.

i am getting absolutely creamed by this issue. i moved to hostgator because my service was frequently unavailable on this WORDPRESS hosted site/blog on APlus.net. oddly enough the conventional website in IFrames never had a problem on Aplus.net.

the blog has a .com url and the new site url (no information on it but there are emails on it) has a .nu url.

the original website is still on APlus and has a .com url (this is different from the blog and the .nu site now on hostgator).

so i have REMOVED all the .nu and blog.com EMAIL ACCOUNTS from Mac Mail and i am still getting this issue where there are apparently Mac Mail generated processes that are shutting down my site. i have tried every troubleshooting step they suggest in this article which is basically to uncheck idle and uncheck one other setting and then to take PUSH OFF on the iPhone. i have done all these. no fix.

now i am going in to REMOVE all my email accounts except iCloud account from my iPhone so i have my contacts on my iPhone.

any ideas?

can i purge mac mail somehow? can i REMOVE it?

i have just launched about ten years worth of hard work along with an announcement and having my site down is a total disaster.

IMAP processes connected to you account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.