Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iTunes don't show in Media Browser

Hi Folks,

I downloaded new songs to iTunes from the iTunes Store but they do not show up in GarageBand Media Browser. I made sure they all have a checkmark and even made a new play list with just the new songs. Some of the songs show up in the Media Browser and some don't! Any ideas why they don't all show and what I nbeed to do?

Thank you,

Harry

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 8:50 PM

9 replies

Jan 24, 2013 11:35 PM in response to Foodsman

Harry,

check the "Kind" of your purchased songs. Occasionally they may still be in "protected" format, if it are older recordings. These songs will not show in the Media Browser:

User uploaded file

Otherwise it might help to quit iTunes and GarageBand and to log off and on again, to force both applications to write and read the preferences files again.

Do you see the songs in the Media Browser in other applications?

Regards

Léonie

Jan 25, 2013 8:21 AM in response to Foodsman

Hey There Leonie,

I have 52 songs marked "Kind: Protected AAC audio file". Some songs are oldies and some are more current and I've owned most of them over a year if that makes any difference from the Protected standpoint. This is really a bummer, especially because I purchase every one of the from iTunes. It seems to have no rime or reason either, I have 9 songs by Reba McEntire and 5 are Protected!

How can I get the "Protected" into GarageBand so I can use parts of them for loops? Protected indeed!!!!

Thank you sir,

Harry

Jan 25, 2013 9:11 AM in response to Foodsman

"Protected" files are subject to digital rights management. You cannot import them as audio files to Apple software to convert them - Apple software prevents it. I am surprised that your recent purchases are still protected; the Apple Store promises to sell only DRM free titles. Was there no indication of the fact, when you bought them? You could try the "Report a problem" link on your bill and ask for a refund.

You can burn protected songs onto CD and play them in a CD player, play them on your iPod, even record them on your mac, when you play them on an external device.

How can I get the "Protected" into GarageBand so I can use parts of them for loops?

There is no legal way, and I cannot tell you illegal ways to circumvent Apple's DRM in an Apple provided forum, sorry.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 25, 2013 9:27 AM in response to Foodsman

What other applications are you speaking of?

I meant the other iLife apps and iWorks apps; like iPhoto, Keynote, iMovie ...

These all use the Media Browser, and if they do not see the songs as well, it might be an iTunes problem, not a GarageBand problem. But since your songs are DRM protected, it is clear why you do not see them in GarageBand. You are simply not allowed to convert them to a different format. So you cannot drag them into GarageBand, because that will create a different audio file, but you can drag them into the Time Line of an iMovie project (from the Desktop) and use it as a soundtrack, because that will create a movie and not a soundfile.

New iTunes don't show in Media Browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.