Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have just downloaded Aperture 3.4.3 and its removed every photo in my iPhoto library taken since 2009. Help!

I have just downloaded Aperture 3.4.3 from the App Store and after telling me it was 'upgrading the iPhoto library' it has proceeded to apparently remove every photo in my iPhoto library taken since 2009 (several thousand photos) and removing my album structure. Can anyone please advise how to 'get these photos back' into both the iPhoto and Aperture libraries. I really hope I don't have to reload them all from camera flash cards, some of which I no longer have, and then re-building my album structure. Any thoughts much appreciated. Otherwise I'm seriously thinking of removing the Aperture App and therefore effectively 'doing' $85AUD and then maybe trying Lightroom and/or PSE 11 (after trying to reload the photos, many of which had been edited)? Thanks all. Not happy....

Aperture 3, iOS 6.0.2, and iPhoto 11

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 1:21 AM

5 replies

Jan 25, 2013 2:12 AM in response to Tim848

Your iPhoto library was corrupted and the upgradign process has exposed this.

Simple solution: restore from your back up.

Alternatively, rebuild the Library:

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Jan 25, 2013 1:34 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks TD.

I've now sucessfully rebuilt my iPhoto library through iPhoto Library Manager. All photos are there and so is the album structure. Wonderful.

Now, in the iPhoto Library Manager the Aperture library remains as the old pre-2009 (and therefore incomplete) library of photos. What is my next step please? Should I delete the Aperture library or try and merge the iPhoto and Aperture libraries? I want both iPhoto and Aperture to now use / refer only to the 'new' rebuilt library that is currently in iPhoto. In other words I want to prevent Aperture 'changing things back again' to the pre-2009 scenario which prompted the OP.

Thanks very much TD or anyone else that'd like to chime in:)

Cheers Tim848

Jan 25, 2013 5:10 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi again TD

Have now successfully merged the iPhoto and Aperture libraries using iPhoto Library Manager and I have saved a new library backup to an external hard drive. I can now successfully open and use the new merged library in both iPhoto and Aperture. So thanks again for all your assistance.

Tim848

Have just downloaded Aperture 3.4.3 and its removed every photo in my iPhoto library taken since 2009. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.