Skip navigation

Can't mount Ext. HD from powered USB hub

331 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 6:06 AM by a brody RSS
bookmanjb Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 25, 2013 12:48 AM

iMac 2.66, 10.6.8

I've got an Iomega USB 2.0 128g SSD that I regularly clone my iMac to as a backup. When I plug it into the iMac directly, it mounts no problem and I can boot off it no problem. But when I plug it into my LinQ 7-port hub, it doesn't mount at all nor does it show up in Disk Utility. The LinQ works perfectly well with other devices.

Any ideas why this might be happening? Any ideas how I might force mount it?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • a brody Level 9 Level 9 (62,005 points)
    Jan 25, 2013 8:37 AM (in response to bookmanjb)

Is the hub powered by the computer?

• a brody Level 9 Level 9 (62,005 points)
    Feb 9, 2013 6:06 AM (in response to bookmanjb)

There must be with that hub.  It probably is designed much like the hub inside the computer.   There are low powered and high powered USB ports on a computer too.   I would find the model # of the hub, and rate it poorly for that.   All wall powered hubs should give the same amount of power for all ports.  The whole point about getting a wall powered hub is that many computers only have one or two buses, meaning if you have a lot of devices that need power from the USB port, you don't want to have to get an A/C cord for each device, unless absolutely needed.   Having a wall powered hub that's properly designed will save you from having to do so.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.