Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backups list in Server app

hi

I use Server app to set up TM backups, but there's no backups list in 'Backups' tab. TM is working correctly, and i can see all backups in finder, but not in TM configuration in Server.

How can i gain backups list ?

best.

Mac mini Server (Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 12:29 AM

4 replies

Jan 27, 2013 10:09 AM in response to mantral

I just recently did this (last night) and it is working fine for me. Perhaps if I go through the steps I did and you can compare to how you did it.

1. Have external HDD connected to Mac mini server. External HDD is called 'Data'
  2. As local server administrator made folder on Data (external HDD) called 'TimeMachine' as I did not want external client Mac machines TM backups to go into root of drive
  3. Went to Time Machine made a destination and choose folder created in step 2 and turned on Time Machine service on server. When this action was done server automatically setup share point with relevant permissions.
  4. At client machine System Preferences | Time Machine
    1. Choose 'Select Disk...'
    2. 'TimeMachine' automatically showed up in 'Available Disks'
    3. Select it and choose 'Use Disk'
    4. For account I chose account of the user of that client machine, not the server administrator account. User chosen has account on the server and is in the group 'Staff' which has R/W access to the designated Time Machine backup sharepoint & folder.
    5. Time Machine backup automatically started
  5. After client backup(s) finished I see them in the server Time Machine Backups list. Shows computer name, owner is user account which uses that Mac.

Seems to work fine.

Jan 27, 2013 2:11 PM in response to mantral

You won't see backups for the local server in the Time Machine service backups list because the server uses Time Machine directly. That is, to run Time Machine on the server machine itself backing up to a HDD (external or internal) you don't (need to) use the Time Machine service, you just enable Time Machine on the server itself by going to System Preferences | Time Machine.

The TM service is a service — as in client/server. When you use it as a service and external machines (for example an iMac) connect to the TM service sharepoint and send Time Machine backups there then you will see them in the backups list.

Backups list in Server app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.