Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I opt out of automatic monthly deductions on Verizon data plan

What isn't clear is how do I opt out of automatic monthly deductions by Verizon after the first month of the plan? I travel twice a year and only need cellular service during those times.

iPad, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 9:54 PM

2 replies

Jan 10, 2015 8:06 AM in response to jmage

I've been searching Apple's forums for an answer to the exact same question (how to get month-to-month data on a Verizon iPad), and I have found it extremely frustrating to read (time and time again) the answer "Ask Verizon". I have talked with Verizon multiple times and NOT A SINGLE VERIZON REPRESENTATIVE was able to tell me the "loophole" below.

From the Verizon Community Forums(I copied and pasted the italic text below from the linked posting):

Start with a SIM card in the iPad, activate the service when you want to use it.

For example, add the $20 for 1GB for a month plan to the iPad. (All plans auto-renew.)

However, you don't have to "burn" the SIM card every time you cancel... when you sign up to add the data, you can go back in and hit the cancel service button (at any time before it auto renews).

There are two options to cancel the service:

1) Cancel Now --> This burns the SIM and deletes the account (so you get no more data). You need a new SIM next time.

2) Cancel Later --> This SAVES the SIM card, so you can re-activate it at a later point. It also allows you to finish using up the data you already purchased, and cancels the auto-pay. Next time, you can just go back in, and add some new data plan (and 'Cancel Later' again so it doesn't auto-renew).

--------

On the same linked-to forum page, someone replied with this:

And I have been doing this precisely. I don't like the auto-pay so after I pay for the data service I always hit cancel later button on my device and just manually charge it once a month when I need it. Bear in mind that if you do the Cancel later, that you have within 5 month to reactivate it again otherwise it will completely deactivate and you will have to get a new sim card. So make sure you re-activate before 5 month is up.

How do I opt out of automatic monthly deductions on Verizon data plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.