Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I make a home movie,auto back up to time machine ,portable hard drive,delete from computer ,can I watch it direct from back up drive without restoring to computer ?

..???

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 11:50 PM

What file format is it in when you save it? Has it been rendered and "shared" or exported?

6 replies

Jan 25, 2013 12:12 AM in response to babowa

Hi sorry for not giving to much info,moving from pc to mac book pro so a little un sure.as for the format I will be using fcp x,I presume I will be rendering to h264 mp4,as for the shared or exported I'm not sure what that means,on my pc I would edit the video ,render ,then just cut and paste to my p/hard drive ( to save space) then just double click on the icon on the p/drive and it would play from there without importing/ restoring ,hope this makes my question more understandable

Jan 25, 2013 8:17 AM in response to Spiderspid

Question has already been answered, but just a bit more info: Before movie is rendered and encoded into a self-containing format (meaning all the necessary files are all included in the one package so to speak), there are files here and there - if you don't move those along with your project, then you won't be able to play/work with it after you've moved it because it'll be searching for the missing files.

And, instead of Time Machine, move your project to an external drive; you can keep your movie library on an external also:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2302

Jan 25, 2013 9:45 AM in response to babowa

Hi guys thank you very much things are a lot clearer now ;)

Just one more question,can I set up time machine ( on a seagate 2tb mac drive) and also use the same drive to export finished events from I movie/ FCP X or photos music etc (as its a mac drive I'm assuming the format will be ok)

I know your supposed to have a p/drive at least as big as my MacBook Pro (512gb) but I will still have a lot of spare gb's to use,or should I just bite the bullet and buy a second drive to keep exported files on ?

Again your help is appreciated. thank you

Jan 25, 2013 9:53 AM in response to Spiderspid

Well, you would need to partition the drive with Disk Utility because Time Machine will use up all the space eventually, so if you want to use part of the drive for something else, you'd need to create a separate partition (area) for it which Time Machine can't take over. If you want to do that, warning: whatever is on the drive now, may be deleted. I don't use Time Machine, so I do not know if you can partition a TM volume without erasing.

However, if you do decide to partition, then assign 75% to TM and create a second partition of abou 500 GB for your movies. But, a second warning: having both backups on one drive mean that you will lose both if the drive malfunctions (and they all will at some point). I have three external drives and duplicates of all my backups scattered across.... so if one goes, I'll still have one copy of that particular backup on another one.

If I make a home movie,auto back up to time machine ,portable hard drive,delete from computer ,can I watch it direct from back up drive without restoring to computer ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.