Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G4 recurring kernel panic and stuck in safe mode

Hello,

I've got an iBook G4 which spontaneously went into safe mode and I can't get out of it.

I've restarted again and again to no avail.

When I go to restart from the install disks by holding down C I get the kernel panic page come up.

I have erased the hard drive in disk utility and performed disk repair and there are no errors or issues to fix.

I want to reinstall the software but don't know how if when it reboots from the disk it has a kernel panic.

Any ideas?

(I have another similar post but needed to update the tags so I apologise for listing 2 threads)

Thanks.

iBook, iOS 4.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 4:55 AM

3 replies

Jan 25, 2013 9:43 AM in response to Chief Mojo Rising

Do you still own the original grey install DVD for your iBook? Insert that disc an press D after pushing the power button. The apple hardware test will come up, so you can test the hardware components.

My guess: maybe bad ram, or bad airport card (some G4 iBook had airport cards that were soldered to the logicboard and fail quite often) You can disable the airport and see if the kernel panic still occurs

Jan 26, 2013 5:52 AM in response to bund

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I do have the original disks but when I insert them and press D after pressing the power button, I get the same kernel panic come up as usual.

I think I'm going to try an external hard drive via FireWire to see if that helps.

Other than that I don't know.

The only way I can get it to boot up normally (although it being still in safe mode) is to try and eject the disk whilst it's restarting. The disk then tries to eject but doesn't come out. Reloads it and then it restarts again.

I know it has a very temperamental disk drive which is why I only use it for the Internet but I can't even do that now because of the safe mode disabling the airport.

If you have any other ideas, then please let me know otherwise it's off to the graveyard with this thing as it will probably be too expensive to fix.

iBook G4 recurring kernel panic and stuck in safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.