Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I know if my phone (or iPad) supports both CDMA and GSM services?

I plan to travel overseas with my iPhone5 and iPad mini. I want to purchase local voice & data SIM cards when I arrive to new a country. How do I know if my phone (or iPad) supports both CDMA and GSM services ?

iPad

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 8:46 AM

1 reply

Jan 25, 2013 9:48 AM in response to stephen.ph

All iPhone 5s and iPad minis support GSM. iPad minis are not locked to a carrier, but the iPhone may be depending on where and under what sort of agreement you purchased it. The iPhone will need to either have been purchased unlocked or have been unlocked by the cell carrier to be used with other carriers.

Neither the iPhone nor the iPad wil support a CDMA carrier other than the one for which the device was sold, though.

Regards.

how do I know if my phone (or iPad) supports both CDMA and GSM services?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.