Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having a lot of problems with iPhoto 8.1.2. Should I just bite the bullet and purchsed a newer version? I've tried everything suggested so far and nothing seems to be working.

I am having a lot of problems with iPhoto 8.1.2. Should I just bite the bullet and purchsed a newer version? I've tried everything suggested so far and nothing seems to be working.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 8:28 AM

19 replies

Jan 25, 2013 8:51 AM in response to charlesfromcorrales

1 - upgrading will not resolve your porblems - iPhoto '09 is fine - you have local problems that will probably be harder to fix after anupgrade

2 - if you have actually tried everything then there is no solution and you will have to use a different program or purchase a new computer - however I seriously doubt that you have actually "tried everything"

Maybe if you actually shared details of your problems someone here could help resolve them

LN

Jan 25, 2013 9:14 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi LarryHN. The beach ball started spinning about two or three months ago while I was still on Lion. It spins for about 30-40 seconds (meanwhile all the photos are visiable) and I cannot use IPhoto until it stops spinning of course. I upgraded to Mountain Lion and added more memory, bringing the computer up to 4 GB. All else on the computer seems to working just fine. There is only one photo library on the computer so I have ruled outthere are too many of those. iPhoto works very well once the ball stops spinning. I've tried Option + =iPhor to open it so I could rebuilfd but that option has neve come up. I made a second library with just a few photos in it and when I open that the beach ball comes up and spins just like before. Don't know what else to tell,

Jan 25, 2013 9:34 AM in response to charlesfromcorrales

If I've understood you right there are some inconsistencies with your posts. Post 2 talks about beach balls and goes on to say you went on to upgrade to Mountain Lion and added more memory to arrive at 4GB.

That means you were originally running Lion on LESS than 4GB (could have been 1GB for all we know) ... the absolute bare minimum for that OS. So that could be why you had the beach balls.

Assuming you originally started with Snow Leopard, the iPhoto you should have reached while there would have been iPhoto 11, which was a free update with SL.

I'm not meaning to be picky ... just clarifying the facts. I notice too that your profile is still showing 10.7.2 (did you update that OS to 10.7.5 before you went on to ML.)?

Luckily for you, I see your post has gained the attention of Terrence Devlin (I hope he won't mind me adding 'our resident guru')

Hope it all works out for you.

Jan 25, 2013 9:47 AM in response to seventy one

I was running Lion when all this started. At that time I had 3GB and now I have 4GB of memory. My hard drive is only about 1/20th full. I have about 1500 photos in iPhoto. I stareed with SL but software update wuld not update my iPhot to 11 so I just kept ging with 8.1.2. At this time I am running Mountain LIon whether the profile shows it or not and the last time I looked the profile of your site showed me running 10.7.2 but I was actually running 10.7.5. I have had some problems with the superdrive not wanting to read some DVDs or CDs but that was resolved when I purchsed an external super drive. About twice a year I partition this computer so I can put Windows on it for my wife to work though (a requuirment of the company she works for), But it has not been on this computer fdor some time now.If therte is anything else you need to know just ask.

Jan 25, 2013 10:03 AM in response to charlesfromcorrales

FB is an example and might or might not be the issue - what you have identifed is that your start up issue is caused by internet access - now you need to go through your iPhoto preferences and turn off all sharing and internet sites and test again - once you get the start up isses resolved you can then turn any you want back on one at a time testing after each new addition and if one caues the problem either leave it off or trouble shoot tha one issue

LN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.