Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to view font characters?

I have forgotten what I knew once. How do I view individual characters in a font?

Character Viewer does not show all the characters in my fonts. Specifically I am looking for the ligature for "ffl" in Times.

For comparison, years ago I found a particular character for a similar ligature: ChrW(64258). That was long enough ago that I do not now remember how I found that character.

How do I find my way back to wherever I found ChrW(64258)? TIA

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 10:11 AM

In OS 10.6 you open Character Viewer and set View=Glyph and then select your font.

If by chance you are using 10.7 or 10.8 and have posted in the wrong forum, then View=Glyph is no longer available, and you have to use another app like PopChar or Ultra Character Map to view characters by font.

As far as I know, the Times font supplied by Apple does not have an ffl ligature, only fl.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2013 10:11 AM in response to R_55a

In OS 10.6 you open Character Viewer and set View=Glyph and then select your font.

If by chance you are using 10.7 or 10.8 and have posted in the wrong forum, then View=Glyph is no longer available, and you have to use another app like PopChar or Ultra Character Map to view characters by font.

As far as I know, the Times font supplied by Apple does not have an ffl ligature, only fl.

Oct 1, 2013 10:04 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Well, now the problem has come back. One of my MS Word macros got corrupted somehow, and I need to reconstruct it. If I understand the process correctly, I need a character number in the form "ChrW(64xxx)."

I open Character Viewer and view my fonts in "Glyph." I selected the individual character that I want, but Character Viewer does not identify that character with a number in that form. Instead it gives me a Unicode number and some other numbers that I do not recognize.

I tried to insert the Unicode number into my macro. Word, though, does not accept that code in the macro.

Is there a way now of getting a "ChrW" number out of Character Viewer?

how to view font characters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.