Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to merge two iPhoto libraries with some duplicate photos in Aperture. Is there a simple (fast) way to eliminate the duplicates?

Is there a simple (fast) way to eliminate duplicate photos in Aperture when merging 2 iPhoto libraries containing some of the same photos?

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Creating new Aperture library

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 11:32 AM

Aperture's recognition of duplicate images is very restrictive. For an image to be recognized as a duplicate the filenames need to be identical, the file size, and the date. Aperture will check that when importing images and avoid to import duplicates, if you enable the duplicate detection.

But this will not always work when merging libraries. Then duplicate detection will work best, when the second library has originally been exported from the first library and the libraries share projects. When merging independently created libraries containing the same images, Aperture will not necessarily recognize the duplicates. I just checked again - created two libraries, imported into both the same folder with 16 images, then merged the second library into the first. The merge result was a library containing two projects with identical images.

You can merge iPhoto libraries using Aperture by them into one of the libraries, but there are no tools provided to avoid duplicates, if the libraries are not copies of each other.

Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries

Regards

Léonie

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2013 11:32 AM in response to WenDar

Aperture's recognition of duplicate images is very restrictive. For an image to be recognized as a duplicate the filenames need to be identical, the file size, and the date. Aperture will check that when importing images and avoid to import duplicates, if you enable the duplicate detection.

But this will not always work when merging libraries. Then duplicate detection will work best, when the second library has originally been exported from the first library and the libraries share projects. When merging independently created libraries containing the same images, Aperture will not necessarily recognize the duplicates. I just checked again - created two libraries, imported into both the same folder with 16 images, then merged the second library into the first. The merge result was a library containing two projects with identical images.

You can merge iPhoto libraries using Aperture by them into one of the libraries, but there are no tools provided to avoid duplicates, if the libraries are not copies of each other.

Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries

Regards

Léonie

I want to merge two iPhoto libraries with some duplicate photos in Aperture. Is there a simple (fast) way to eliminate the duplicates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.