Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Messages, how to reduce type ahead choices for a contact?

In the messages app, when I am typing a new message for a contact it shows every phone number, every imessage address, every im address, etc. Is there a way to reduce the set of addresses that show up for a contact? Or, is there a way to only list the contact name and default to the primary service (first in account list)?

Thanx,

LES

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 11:30 AM

1 reply

Jan 25, 2013 12:34 PM in response to lstroud

Hi,

Short answer. No.

The long answer is not perfect either. (in fact it's more of a workaround)

FaceTime has the ability to set up it's own Favourites without resorting to manipulating the Contacts (formerly the Address Book) List.

Obviously you can use the New Message icon > then the Blue + icon top left > then select Contacts > then navigate to the person to add them to the "To" Spot.

You can of course type directly in the "To" Spot and the name will slowly reduce options the more you type.

However the Name in then a a drop down and will show any and All iMessages valid iPhone Numbers and Apple IDs (Actually it will guess at all email and phone numbers)

Below a line it will show names and IDs on the Card for the other Services Messages can join.

The "trick" (and I am being liberal with the word) is to create a sort of Favourites Group in the Contacts List

This can then be accessed under the Blue + icon drop down.

This can cut down the Number of people/Contacts or card you have to look through.

A further step would be to create separate Address Cards with only the Real Name (+ modifier) and the Contact iPhone Number or Apple ID (Primary details)

I say + Modifier as you cannot have two "John Smiths" in the Contact List. One has to be John Smith1 or something that identifies the Name as being different.

First Name - John, Last Name - Smith is different from First name - John Smith, Last Name - (Blank).

User uploaded file
8:34 PM Friday; January 25, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

In Messages, how to reduce type ahead choices for a contact?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.