Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turbox Tax Users, You've been Warned

Turbo Tax 2012 will not run on a mac with the Intel Core Duo . Turbo Tax 2012 only runs on 64 bit macs. You can find out what chip you have by clicking the apple icon on your computer (upper left corner) and selecting "About this Mac". For further instructions read this -> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3696 . Why in the world Turbo Tax would do this to 32 bit owners is beyond me. It's bad enough they make you pay for a brand new copy of Turbo Tax every year. They at least should have had the courtesy to put the 64 bit system requirements for macs on front of the box. Perhaps, it's time to try H&R tax software...better than paying for a whole new 64 bit mac to run TT. Has anyone used H&R tax software before?

iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 11:01 AM

2 replies

Jan 25, 2013 11:52 AM in response to Macster77

Just an update,

In all fairness, the VP of Turbo Tax is particiapting in apple discussions trying to explain why they moved from 32 to 64 bit. The following is one of his replies.

"Thanks Macster77.. As a Mac fan too, I like the fact that they "just work". Perhaps "faster, streamlined" are not the right words, but one simple example of the dilemna we faced is this. Since we wanted to be available on the App store (and now are, which is a veryimportant distribution channel), we had to go with the tools that support 64 bit only. That's just one example. Anyway, I appreciate your comments."

Bob Meighan

VP, TurboTax

Mar 2, 2013 10:54 PM in response to Macster77

I agree- The fact that TuroTax now requires a 64 bit system should be on the box under system requirements! I did not find this out until after I upgraded my mini-mac with Intel Core Duo to 10.6.8, which meets the requirements on the box! I really do not want to prepare my taxes and store my information in the "cloud". Very disappointed in TurboTax!

Turbox Tax Users, You've been Warned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.