Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Expand All Mail Conversations by Default

There are quite a few threads out there on this topic but none with any suitable response. Has anyone figured out a terminal command that might force this, sort of like we do for forcing font size? Its frustrating to have to keep going to view and selecting "Expand All Conversations" manually evertime you switch views.

Looking forward to a response.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 7:29 AM

Although I have not been able to force the behavior, I did get some 'relief' by creating a App Shortcut in "System Preferences"->"Keyboard"->"Shortcuts" for "Expand All Conversations" that makes getting the behavior easier for me than mousing around the menus.

13 replies

Jan 25, 2013 12:36 PM in response to leroydouglas

That checkbox is checked, I have to go to View/Expand All Conversations about 20-30 times a day to expand all messages because it continues to collapse whenever I "switch views" meaning, going from one folder, to a keyword search, to a smart folder, etc. It would be great to have some command line "defaults...xxxxx" that sets the "Expand All Conversations" default to on rather than persistent off - even if selected from the menu.

It would appear that I'm not the only one frustrated by this, many others seem to have the same thoughts so I'm hoping that someone in this community have figured out that simply setting a command line in Terminal sets the default to on with a bit flip.

leroydouglas wrote:

Mail>preferences>Viewing

This doesn't work for you?

User uploaded file

JimN wrote:

evertime you switch views.

What does this mean?

Expand All Mail Conversations by Default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.