Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Interference

Hello everyone,

I'm a first-time mac users and have been having issues with, what I believe to be, interference when talking to my fiancee over various video-chat clients (including FaceTime, Skype, and Google Hangout). I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem.

I get a loud, oscilating, high-frequency noise sometimes until I begin talking. When I talk, the noise goes away. Other times, I get loud "low-flying airplane" noises that also quit when I speak. Again, this is over several video chat clients and I've had my fiancee use her Windows notebook and iPhone to test the problem with this occuring with each device. I've tried using headphone with no success, but have not tried using an external microphone (because I don't own one). This happens while charging, and on battery. There is no interference when recording video while not in an internet call.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 1:10 PM

4 replies

Jan 25, 2013 2:32 PM in response to sanjampet

Maybe putting it on some foam, or make sure that is not on a resonant surface, it could be the fans that are making the noise, or it could be the ISP has bad audio transmission. Usually high pitched noise is from the HD. You probably want to go the headset/mic route and take all these out of the picture. See if you can borrow one from someone to se if it helps. Wish you all the best, good luck.

Just had a thought, are you using the 2 or 3 prong power adapter? try one then the other see if you have any change, it might be a ground path/neutral cross talk issue.

Just a thought.

ATB

Audio Interference

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.