Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the light in your MacBook's keyboard ever go out?

I was just wondering, maybe its just me, but it seems that the lights in my MacBook are going dimmer and dimmer. Seems like when I first bought it (March of 2012) they were super bright. Now I find myself constantly pressing F6 (to make it brighter) but its already up as bright as it will go. Is it just me or could my light be going out? If it is can this replaced? WITHOUT damge to my MacBook? Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 2:35 PM

The keyboard light can be set to Auto adjust. Is that what you are seeing? Are you in a bright room/area?

Yes it can be replaced and if there is anything wrong with it, it is covered under the warranty.

Take it to an Apple store and have it checked out.

7 replies

Jan 25, 2013 3:28 PM in response to Pirate9

Pirate9 wrote:

Thank you guys! Do you know if they go out often? Is this common?

We have no idea who supplies Apple with the LEDs used to illuminate the keyboard. If they are the regular Nichia kind, they last 120,000 to 160,000 hours. If they are the high output Luxeon kind, they last 50,000-60,000 hours. The rest of the Mac usually dies long before that happens.

Can the light in your MacBook's keyboard ever go out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.