Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Station changes while iTunes 11 Plays Internet radio

I have found an annoying problem with iTunes 11.0.1(12) when playing an internet radio station - unpredictably and with seemingly no specific repeatable timeframe, the channel moves to the next channel in the playlist and begins to play it.

I am listening to the Alternative Therapy Music station under the Ambient section for background music in my house, and it will change to the next channel and start playing it. This seems to happen after about and hour or two - I'm timing it now to see if there is a predictable pattern and will follow up if I have further info. Internet connection is rock solid - but even if it were to drop or become congested, the channel should not change.

It's annoying.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iTunes 11.0.1 (12)

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 6:04 PM

13 replies

Nov 29, 2017 2:12 PM in response to 13orPkooBcaM

I know this post is 4 years old but the problems still persist with iTunes 12.7.

My solution:

Open Preference and in the Restrictions pane, disable Internet Radio.

Quit iTunes.

Restart iTunes.

Go back to the Restriction pane, enable Internet Radio.

Select your problem station and hopefully it will now stay tuned - it work for me - my station is holding steady. Yay!

Apr 4, 2013 12:52 AM in response to 13orPkooBcaM

All of a sudden, I'm experiencing a similar problem. I created a Radio Favorites Playlist and every now and then, without warning, iTunes will start playing another station. For me, it's not necessarily one that's adjacent the one I'd selected. It will play anyone of them in my playlist. i never had this problem until about a week or two ago.

Nov 21, 2013 3:21 PM in response to rudewoman

This is a bug (or feature, depending who you ask) in iTunes. It happens when iTunes loses connectivity to the station for a brief second. Try this: start listening music and then switch your wireless network to another one. On my laptop, when doing this, iTunes will start trying all the stations below my current one until the laptop connects to the new wireless and iTunes stays on a radio station. It should retry the connection for some time, not switch to the next station Apple!!

Regards.

Nov 4, 2014 12:33 AM in response to g-pulido

This just happened to me when I was recording my own FM radio show. Now, I have most of the show, minus the half hour that iTunes just decided to skip to another random station for. Can you say ********? Thanks Apple, you always seem to annoy me at the most crucial moments.

[If I could have my clipboard back on my iPhone 4S, I'd be ecstatic. Is that asking too much or am I just a victim of planned obsolescence? ]

Feb 5, 2016 2:38 PM in response to g-pulido

This is 100% a bug, they may consider it a feature but that is just lazy. In order for it to be classified as a feature there needs to be a way to disable the behavior.

If the way internet radio is implemented in iTunes prevents it from being able to simply sit on a single station and retry the connection over and over, then that needs to be patched. If ITunes is able to do that and there is just no way to disable this automatic switching; then that is nothing short of pure laziness on apple's behalf.

This issue is ~3 years old so I can only assume they have decided it is a wontfix. Not surprised apple regularly refuses to fix simple issues and never gives reason/response. I requested they update the manpages for the core-utils elements of OSX back in version 10.5, so that sever operators can identify critical components easily. 10.11 and counting still nothing on the manpage but title.

Absolutely pathetic

May 29, 2016 6:18 PM in response to 13orPkooBcaM

A workaround of sorts:

A single-station playlist.

I just made another playlist "RadioStations2" and copied the station I WANT to continue hearing into that playlist, alone. Give 'em no place to go! If it rebuffers, at least it has to TRY to stay on my station. It did stop once so far, but at least it didn't jump from New Orleans Jazz to Detroit talk radio in under 5 minutes as it has for so long.

Thanks for confirming it wasn't just my fault, though!

Station changes while iTunes 11 Plays Internet radio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.