Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Time Machine

I plan on upgrading my HDD to a SSD and haven't used Time Machine before. How do I do this? There are some files I dont want to transfer, but I want to purchase Mountain Lion at the same time. If I upgrade can I just transfer what I want, and if so how? (The files I dont want to transfer are mostly just apps my sister installed that I cant get off of the launcher). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 9:18 PM

5 replies

Jan 25, 2013 9:24 PM in response to Eden Seeker

See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

In your case, you can install the SSD but keep connected your HDD, so you don't have to make any backup. Just restore the HDD content onto the SSD and your Mac will be as it was before installing your SSD.

1. Install the SSD and keep your HDD connected (or install it on an external hard drive enclosure).

2. Press Option key while your Mac is starting and start from the HDD.

3. Open Disk Utility, select the HDD on the sidebar and go to Restore tab.

4. Drag the SSD onto "Destination" box and press "Restore".

5. When it finishes, restart pressing the Option key, disconnect the HDD and start from the SSD. Also, open System Preferences > Startup Disk, and select the SSD

Using Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.