Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Effects Browser does not show up and causes FCPX not to run properly

Hi all,

I want to describe a strange situation that has been happening to my FCPX (10.0.7) since the installation of the Neat Video plugin.

The first time I run FCPX after the installation, it opened without problems, altough I was no longer able to open the "Effects Browser". In fact, when I tried to click on the Effects Browser button, instead of opening that, it opened another browser (to be precise, the last browser that had been used before). In other words, the Effects Browser no longer showed up.

Moreover, once I quitted FCPX in that state, when I tried to run again FCPX, it freezed on the "Restoring window layout" status and didn't go forward.

I tried all the possible solutions (and, of course, I did uninstall Neat Video):

- Delete the layout folder > Didn't work

- Uninstall FCPX and re-install it > Worked for the first run, but if I try to open the Effects browser, it does not show up again and another browser appears. Furthermore, on subsequent lauches of the program, it freezes in the the same status mentioned above.

- Deleting Preferences > It allows me to let FCPX lauch properly without uninstalling and re-installing it in case I tried to open the Effects browser in the previous session.

- Repairing Disk Permissions > didn't change the situation

Any ideas of the issues and the effective way to overcome the problem? I would like, at least, have the effects broswer available, regardless of Neat Video, of course.

Thanks.

Stefano.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), SSD 480 Gb, 8 Gb RAM

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 3:13 PM

Create a new user and try FCP from the new account. Delete preferences before relaunching FCP. If that doesn't help I would create a "Final Cut Projects hidden" folder at the root level of the drive where your projects and event folders are stored. If they are on your boot drive they will be in your movies folder. Then move your projects to the new folder and launch FCP.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2013 3:13 PM in response to Steve Rey

Create a new user and try FCP from the new account. Delete preferences before relaunching FCP. If that doesn't help I would create a "Final Cut Projects hidden" folder at the root level of the drive where your projects and event folders are stored. If they are on your boot drive they will be in your movies folder. Then move your projects to the new folder and launch FCP.

Jan 27, 2013 3:07 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

I am now able to open the effect browser... but: I still experience problems...

In these terms: Let's assume I can successfully lauch FCPX... then, if I work without recalling the effects browser (not necessarily using one of the effects), I can shut down and relaunch FCPX without problems. If, instead, I recall the effects browser at some point during my session, the program will continue to run without problems until its closure. Then, at the subsequent launch, it will freeze at the "Restoring window layout" stage... In order to make it run correctly, I have to use the "Preference Manager" tool and delete FCPX preferences. After the cleaning process, FCPX will restart successfully.

It means that, in case I have to use the Effect browser, I have to take into account that all preferences will have to be trashed before relaunching FCPX. It is quite annoying...

What would be the cause of that??

Thanks

Jan 28, 2013 3:17 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

Yep I both tried to uninstall following the guidelines and with the FCP Remover tool...

Following your suggestion, I have tried also the "Revert to original layout" command... Just let me punctualize something about the program which is related to that: when FCPX is being relaunched after having recalled the Effect browser, the program is not actually "freezed" (meaning I have to close it with brute force)... FCPX is apparently running without issues, altough nothing appears and the welcome screen freezes on "Restoring window layout"... IN FACT, I am able to go to the upper menus and, for example, quit Final Cut or, of course, select the "Revert to original layout" option.

At this stage, if I select "Revert to original layout", the workspace appears and I should be able to work... I "should", because, unfortunately, the welcome screen still remains in the middle and there's no way to put it away...

If I close and re-open FCPX, the issue remains... the only way I have to have a "normal" launch is to delete preferences before relaunching FCPX...

Jan 28, 2013 5:56 PM in response to Steve Rey

I am not familiar with Neat Video, but I wonder if when you uninstalled it some files were left behind. I did some checking in Google and couldn't find any info on uninstalling. Seems that version 3.2 is required for FCPX and their FAQ had several bad sounding issues with 10.0.6 and .7. Other than checking for some orphans left over from the Neat Video install, I am out of ideas. Perhaps someone else can make some suggestions or a reinstall of the OS is indicated.

Apr 2, 2013 9:08 AM in response to Steve Rey

Hello

I am not alone! Yes i have exactly the same situation running FCPX10.0.8. All the above 'fixes' have been tried without success. The only wa y to resolve the situation is to delete both the layout folder and the plist.....which means that all your preferences are gone on start up and need to be re done. Not so good.

Regards

Krzysztof

Apr 2, 2013 10:03 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hello Tom

There are no good preference sets. Each time one runs FCPX it stalls on 'Restoring the window layout' and the only way to resolve the situation is to delete the layout folder and the plist. Unless i am misunderstanding your suggestion it seems that FCPX needs a blank plist and windows layout to start from. I have also tried locking both the window layout and the plist and it did not make a difference in the situation. I am going to remove one of the video cards to see if that resolves the issue....

Regards

Krzysztof

Apr 2, 2013 10:38 AM in response to Krzys

Removing the card does start up the program correctly, but i now find that the preferences are not being recalled correctly, even when they are restored fro Preference Manager. They return to the (i assume) default settings. A bit of a dog's breakfast. The only solution seems to be to reapply all the preferences each time i wish to work with the program. Seeing that i am in mid edit of a documentary due in 2 weeks, it might be wise just to leave the computer on until i finish this edit......odd behaviour with this fcpx.

Regards

Krzysztof

Effects Browser does not show up and causes FCPX not to run properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.