Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to download OS X Mountain Lion and have iMac and Macbook Pro shared. Can I install on Mac Pro and will also be on iMac?

Want to download OS X Mountain Lion for AirPlay and have iMac and MacBook Pro shared. Can I install on Mac Pro and will also be on iMac or vice versa? Or do I have to install on both?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 6:35 AM

You need to install it on both, but you only need to purchase Mountain Lion one time.

4 replies

Jan 26, 2013 6:38 AM in response to D5591ds56

djcastaldo is correct. Your MacBook Pro is compatible with AirPlay Mirroring, but for the iMac, you need a Mid 2011 iMac or later. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5404

Also, if you don't want to download Mountain Lion twice, before installing Mountain Lion on your first computer, copy the Mountain Lion installer (stored on Applications folder) to an external disk, so you only have to connect the external disk to your other computer and install it.

You should make a Time Machine backup and/or a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner before upgrading. Check if your apps are supported > http://www.roaringapps.com

Jan 26, 2013 6:50 AM in response to D5591ds56

Are you looking to use AirPlay to share between your iMac and MacBook Pro? Hard to tell from your question but if this is what you are looking to do I don;t believe it is going to work.

AirPlay is for streaming to an Apple TV from your OSX or IOS devices not for going from device to device (at least that is the way I read it).

Also you need to check out if your hardwre supports AirPlay, only newer Macs will run it.

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano - OK it will also work with newer Airport Express.

Want to download OS X Mountain Lion and have iMac and Macbook Pro shared. Can I install on Mac Pro and will also be on iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.