Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 battery problems in cold weather

I have noticed that when I am out in the cold (below freezing) for long periods of time, my battery drains extremely fast even when I am not using the phone. When the battery pecentage drops below 10, phone shuts down and doesn't turn on until it is warmed up again. And when it is on it is displaying much higher battery percentage again (for example around 30-40%).

I know the batteries don't last as long in the cold weather, but this seems a bit extreme? I had a 3gs for 3 years before this and never had similar problems. Sure the battery would drain slightly quicker when I was in the cold, but nothing like this.

Is this normal with this phone or is there a problem with mine?

PS: I don't think aluminum back helps with the cold weather as it always feels like ice cold after a while even if the phone is in my pocket...

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 6:35 AM

5 replies

Jan 26, 2013 7:39 AM in response to etunar

This is what Jim Little posted in another thread about having same problems with iphone 5:

I don't know how to link the post, so I'll just copy paste his post here:

"

After some further experimentation, there are serious cold weather performance issues with the iPhone 5 compared to prior generation iPhones. Starting at about 15 degrees farenheit (-10 celsius) the battery life of the iPhone rapidly deteriorates and the phone crashes and won't restart until warmed up.

I think there are a number of explanations for this:

1. The performance of ALL batteries deteriorates in the cold. Batteries are a chemical reaction, and that reaction slows down in colder temperatures. Shelf life of batteries can be extended by keeping them cool, but you need to warm them up before you use them. That being said... I've skied for years with iPhones in the 1st-4th generation, and NEVER saw this problem with other iPhones.
  2. The iPhone 5 battery is thinner and has larger surface area than prior batteries. Larger surface area = faster cooling. Simple thermodynamics.
  3. The iPhone 5 shell is thin aluminum and has a larger surface area than the prior models. Aluminum has excellent heat transfer. This is why you can take a tin-foil wrapped potato out of a 350 degree oven and remove the tin foil with your bare fingers in seconds without burning yourself. The glass and plastic of the prior models did not cool down as quickly as the aluminum back of the iPhone 5.
  4. I do wonder if there are other components affected by cold, specifically processor, or perhaps expansion/contraction due to temperature change? Again, the iPhone 5 is so dramatically different than prior iPhone models I'm searching for other possible explanations.

The thermodynamic effects on the iPhone 5 are quite significantly different than the prior iPhone models in my experience. If I take it out of my warm inner pocket in 0 degree farenheit (-18 celsius) weather to snap a photo, it takes about 10-15 seconds for the phone to cool to the point where it will shut down. Too fast for me to snap pictures or video of my son or friends skiing.

Solution: Keep the iPhone 5 in a warm inner pocket. I put it in a zip lock baggie to help with moisture. I'm experimenting with heavier/thicker cases made of rubber or plastic to help slow down heat transfer. Once there are better iPhone 5 extended battery packs on the market (like the Mophie Juice Pack), I will probably get one of those for when I'm skiing or in the back country. I need my phone available, even in the cold weather, for emergencies. "

Feb 10, 2014 5:14 PM in response to etunar

I have the same problem as you! Never had a problem with my 3g either!!!! I googled it today & it's a big concern!!!! I spoke with apple support & he said he never heard the concern! I told him just Google it!!!!!! He then said the I phone 5 operating temperature goes down to 32. So if the phone is colder than 32 it can close down & require charging even when it does not need a charge!!!!! I asked if the people at the Apple store tell customers that, no answer!!! I would guess 99% of I phone 5 owners do not know this! I went for a walk today & my phone turned off, good thing I didn't need any medical help during my walk! I know long feel safe with this phone!!!!!!!!

Aug 4, 2014 5:14 PM in response to etunar

This has been an issue for me as well....similar to the post from 'Jim Little'.

My most recent episode was on a bike ride this weekend. Took a picture at the top of the climb (11,400 ft) and as soon as I took the picture, the phone shut down. It was 27 degrees at the time of the photo, and the phone was not well insulated (not much insulation in a bike jersey).

I've also seen this happen numerous times skiing. I've always stored my phone in a zip lock bag (keeps moisture out and can still operate phone with gloves on), in an inner pocket, to keep phone as warm as possible. I've also tried storing phone in a neoprene beer koozie, but never seem to get the same performance from my current iPhone 5 as I did with previous versions.

I always wonder what kind of field testing does Apple do when it releases a new product? With the iPhone 4 it was the antennae, with the 5, it appears to be horrible battery life. What do we have in store for the 6th gen phone????

Spend a little more time with real world field testing. Not everybody lives in 70 degree temps, 365 days a year.

Dec 7, 2015 7:58 AM in response to etunar

I have iPhone 4S, exactly same experience as described above, this almost renders my iPhone 4S useless except having the possibility of charging when temperature is 0°C or below when the phone warms up again then it perhaps shows 30% or 40% charge left. I also have Samsung S4 the cold temps do not affect my Samsung as it does affect my iPhone 4S.

Iphone 5 battery problems in cold weather

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.