Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

magic mouse tracking has changed

magic mouse tracking has changed; only works on dark, rough surface.

things I have done:

changed batteries

cleaned optical sensor

cleaned mouse pad

checked for software update--none

had been working perfectly for 4-5 months and suddenly had issues with bluetooth (now fixed) and tracking.

magic mouse-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 8:54 AM

1 reply

Nov 13, 2016 6:31 PM in response to neucarol

I thought that too. I noted my mouse cursor occasionally enlarged and at the same time the mouse would move too slow or not at all, which made getting from one side of the (4k) to the other a few "lift & swipes". At first I looked and saw "the red light isn't on why is it working?" Magic mouse is a newer better technology, no more bright red led needed.

(wrong answer) I tried cleaning table noted where i'd been moving mouse had "gotten smooth", and it worked *better* on the rougher part of table. I tried making a grid on my table top - thinking old optical mice liked it: no change.

ANSWER: I got out a college spiral notebook, it has a cheap thick paper cover (not plastic). The paper cover is semi-gloss, medium-dark green. The mouse works well on it - not perfect skips once in a while - but it tracks well across the wide screen most always, good continuous motion.

TIP: try other surfaces - regular smooth ones that have no pattern at all, being smooth also facilitates motion , see if that helps

magic mouse tracking has changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.