Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No video in Quicktime export.

Hello all and thanks in advance.

Firstly, I am still new to FCE and am essentially a self taught amateur, who switched to FCE after Apple ruined its once wonderful iMovie application. I have edited, exported and burned a few successful short projects in FCE with no problem.

But I just finished a new project, and the export to Quicktime is not working properly. The resulting export has full audio but nothing but black screen for video. I have rendered the entire thing many times, mixed it down, etc. And the project previews fine in FCE but will not export.

In trying to figure it out, I did notice that the "easy setup" was set to HD and the files were imported from a Canon digital8 camera. I don't know why the settings were like this. I tried to change the settings back to NSTC default, but it did not help. Have no idea if the setup relates somehow to export or not.

I'm really not sure what to do, but I've put a ton of hours into this project which has a lot of sentimental value for me. Googling has not exactly been helpful.

Any advice?

iMac intel 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 9:09 AM

9 replies

Jan 26, 2013 11:54 AM in response to mareeder

Is this on the same computer that you edited on?

In FCE, click on the icon for the Sequence you exported in your FCE Browser to select it.

Once it is selected, type Command + 9 to see the properties for the sequence.

Please post those properties here.

When you did your export, you went to the File menu and choose File > Export QuickTime Movie without conversion, is that correct?

Thanks

MtD

Jan 26, 2013 1:20 PM in response to mareeder

Well. from here everything looks like you are doing it correctly. When you export the sequence, are you sure you do not have the Video disabled, or you have selected the audio tracks only?

Can you open the exported QuickTime on another computer?

But the files/clips exist on a external hard drive, so it shouldn't matter, right?

I should think not as long as you can see them in the sequence prior to export.

Have you tried trashing your FCE preferences and re-doing the export? Is is the usual first step when FCE acts strangely:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2611?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Download Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion (free) and it will trash the prefs for you (and let you archive you existing prefs if you so choose):

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

MtD

No video in Quicktime export.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.