Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse cursor flickers while moving around (all programs)

This problem started up about a month ago now. Basically the cursor starts to flicker at random while I move it around the screen. It doesn't fly all over the place as I've read other people's has, but it's pretty annoying and I can't figure out why it's happening.

At first I thought it was just happening in my internet browser (I mainly use Chrome) when I hovered over links, but now it happens in most programs. It makes using Adobe Illustrator (I do some graphic design) very difficult because I can't see the contextual icons telling my what I'm hovering over.

It's also very random when it happens. It doesn't do it over every link and sometimes it will do it only after I click on one. Sometimes it will do it just as I move the cursor around the screen. In Illustrator, for instance, it does it pretty much constantly.

My software is up to date, and I haven't been able to find anyone encountering the same issue as me. Restarting doesn't make it go away, any thoughts?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 11:15 AM

15 replies

Oct 19, 2013 2:51 PM in response to TheMorningLine

I had the same problem, cursor seemingly randomly changing shapes as I moved it across the screen. Fortunately I was able to associate the start of the problem with some issues I was having with Flip4Mac that caused me to install a Flip4Mac upgrade. After that the cursor started flipping out and I was getting these errors in the Console:

10/19/13 12:41:36.054 PM com.apple.qtkitserver[569]: objc[569]: Class TSSandboxPrefs is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/TSLicense.framework/Versions/A/TSLicense and /Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac WMV Import.component/Contents/MacOS/Flip4Mac WMV Import. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

10/19/13 12:42:17.783 PM com.apple.qtkittrustedmoviesservice[583]: objc[583]: Class TSSandboxPrefs is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/TSLicense.framework/Versions/A/TSLicense and /Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac WMV Import.component/Contents/MacOS/Flip4Mac WMV Import. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

I'm not positive, but I believe neither of those are needed anymore since FlipPlayer 3.0 has moved everything into the App Bundle. Anyway, I deleted the folders:

• /Library/Frameworks/TSLicense.framework/
  • /Library/Quicktime/Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component
  • /Library/Quicktime/Flip4Mac WMV Export.component
  • /Library/Quicktime/Flip4Mac WMV Import.component

And then used the Flip4Mac uninstaller to uninstall Flip4Mac, then rebooted, and the problem went away.

I suspect this problem can be caused not only by these specific double definitions, but also by other QuickTime frameworks that are installed in two different places.

So check your console logs for warnings from qtkitserver and/or qtkittrustedmoviesservice logs and see if there is a problem you can resolve.

Oct 19, 2013 4:08 PM in response to TheMorningLine

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

Oct 19, 2013 7:50 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric,

This is incredibly generic advice, only one step removed from "do a clean reinstall of the OS" or "buy a new computer". It seems like you really have no idea what the problem is and are just throwing the kitchen sink at it. Which is fine, except that it has nothing specifically to do with this thread.

Oct 20, 2013 12:38 AM in response to Jgro

Jgro your thinking is incredibly simplistic and a only one step removed from "ignorant."

The point of those steps, as linked, is to determine where to look for the problem.

If anybody has actually seen the problem and solved it, they can provide a specific set of steps to fix it.

However, if nobody has seen it before, then a logical process to determine the cause is necessary, hence the suggestion to determine if it happens in all users or just the one, and then if it happens with third-party startup items disabled.

Oct 20, 2013 6:49 AM in response to Barney-15E

If anybody has actually seen the problem and solved it, they can provide a specific set of steps to fix it.

I have and and I did. Only after that did Eric post the most generic troubleshooting steps there are.

The point of those steps, as linked, is to determine where to look for the problem.

Not really. The point of those steps is to eliminate everything that makes the OP's specific Mac different from a generic one and see if the problem goes away. You can find those same troublehsooting steps anywhere for any Mac problem. If the problem goes away in Safe mode but comes back afterward, it still doesn't tell you much. It doesn't even mean it's not a hardware problem, as it might be a hardware problem with some piece of hardware that has had its driver disabled. The infamous Spotlight reindexing bug goes away in Safe mode but comes right back. Adding these generic troubleshooting steps to an 8 month old thread seems more like trolling for points rather than genuinely trying to be helpful.

Sep 16, 2015 3:25 PM in response to Jgro

If the problem goes away in Safe mode but comes back afterward, it still doesn't tell you much.

No, it tells you quite a bit. It indicates that you have third-party software that starts at power on that most likely causing the problem. Safe Mode disables most third-party kernel extensions and launch daemons, so if the problem goes away, it just may be those things causing the problem.

Adding these generic troubleshooting steps to an 8 month old thread seems more like trolling for points rather than genuinely trying to be helpful.

Once again you display your ignorance. You can't get points just by posting. The advice would have to be useful enough for the OP to mark the post as either helpful or solved.

Sep 28, 2016 6:46 AM in response to TheMorningLine

I seem to have this problem as well. My curser is flickering when I hover over words in pages, word. It also flickers else where as well. But it doesn't do it all the time sometimes it can just go back to normal. Whats the quickest way to solve this issue does anyone know. I see you have discussed things what is the best option?

No Apple Advisor seems to know the answer.

Sep 28, 2016 8:40 AM in response to abroadley007

You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is a couple of years old, less people are likely to look at it. A new post would be much more visible. You can link to this one.

In the new discussion, try running this program in your normal account , then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Mouse cursor flickers while moving around (all programs)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.